Inheritance and children

I thought the last picture of Flora might have been too scary for some of you

   I thought the last picture of Flora might have been too scary for some of you. So: LOOK AT THIS GEM!

    The scent of food was floating in the air of Sarah's home along, warm sweet bread and berries tea. James' stomach growled as he hadn't eaten anything at all for quite a while, but he had to resist the hunger for this was not the moment to satiate it. There were much more important matters at hand to be solved as of now.

Rea and May were sitting on the couch in the living room, eyes still wet from crying and heads hanging low with sadness and exhaustion. They stayed strong, for their family, for their sister, for the dear ones who came to offer comfort, but now they were drained, façade peeling off with each passing minute, exposing the hurt beneath, the shattered souls in need of help. Their pale skin and sad expressions, the stillness with which they stayed on the couch, holding each other in their arms looked like weeping angels, dressed in black, all the life sucked out by the tragedy which had struck. One morning. One morning was all it took to turn their entire lives upside down. Cecilia was nearby, eyes red and puffy, a handkerchief

In the rooms upstairs, the voices of children, blissfully ignorant of death's grim meaning were playing and laughing, adults rushing to quiet them down each time they got too loud. Brothers and sisters, uncles and aunts, relatives from all over the country and beyond, all with sour expressions on their faces were staring at each other in silence, the matter about to be discussed, like a cancer no one wanted to look at, but its foul stench and rotting presence was demanding their attention. There was no way out of this.

"Maybe Rea and May shouldn't assist." Daniela, Norah's cousin, said, looking concerned at the girls.

"No. This is their future we're talking about. They must know." Sarah argued, but there was little conviction in her voice.

She too would have preferred them to leave and be spared, but things were much too complicated to allow such comfort. Legally, the house belonged to Rea now as she was both an adult and the oldest. But she had no means of income, no way to pay the bills and she still had school, to study and get a degree. May was nearly an adult as well, only one more year keeping her away from it. (Y/N) was the youngest and she was injured as well, her right arm needed to be amputated. Her situation was the most delicate out of all of them.

"In that case." Patrick started, looking at everyone in the room, "I think we better start. It's been a long day and delaying this anymore won't do us any good."

Everyone agreed silently, more than willing to sort this mess out.

"I want to adopt (Y/N)." James began, ready for his statement to be met with resistance.

"Are you sure about this James? I know (Y/N) has been living with you for the past year, but..." one of Norah's uncles said, trying to find a reason.