Chapter 14.

UWA

Neatly arranged seats, fancy lights and the smell of freshly cooked food are the qualities that best describe this place as we walk into it. A woman looking in her mid thirties approaches us, smiling flirtatiously at my boss.

"Deji." She flirts, placing her hands on his chest. You obviously look older than him, Aunty.

"Hi." He says, curtly. He takes her hands off him and walks to where the rest company she had were sitting. Her attention turns to me and she gives me a glare. What did I do please? I sigh before walking to join the others.

When I get there, I smile at them whilst sending a greeting their way before taking my seat.

"Breakfast, anyone?" My boss asks.

"No, thank you. I believe water will do just fine for all of us." The flirtatious lady, who introduced herself as Grace, says.

"How about you?" He turns to ask me, completely catching me by surprise. For a split second, his loathsome character was forgotten, the disdain I held for him disappeared, replaced with respect.

"No, Sir. Thank you." I say, sending a small smile to him and the other people on the table.

My stomach growls, chosing this exact   moment to embarass me. The truth is, I have been missing breakfast lately, mostly making it up with only a cup of coffee but today was different. I could feel my boss' eyes on me as he signals to the waiter.

"Give her whatever she wants." He says, giving me a murderous look like I embarrased him.

"And get the rest of us some water." He adds, sending a glare my way.

"Thank you, Sir." He still glares at me, scoffing like I am some charity case that needed to be attended to.

"Fries, Chicken and Ketchup." I say, smiling to the waiter.

"Water for everyone." Deji says to him. How weird could this get? Every other person would be drinking just water and I would be the only person eating food.

As the waiter returns with my food, I mouth a 'thank you' to him as a sign of gratitude. Boss man requests for a POS device to make payment for what was ordered.

Right now, I want to shrink inside my chair or want the floor to just open up and swallow me because all their eyes move to my direction, watching me eat. I hasten up with eating, almost choking in the process.

They began discussing about a partnership her company wants with Jimdey. Apparently, she is the Head of Partnership and they got a contract to build a shopping mall. However, they are not well seasoned in the angle of expertise, which is where Jimdey comes in. These Lagos people, though. How will someone get a contract for a job that they cannot deliver 100%? Now, they want, scratch that. They need to partner with us to erect the structure for them.

The essence of this meeting is to discuss the Mode of Engagement and also, percentage sharing quota of the amount paid then if suitable, sign all necessary documents to bring a complete seal to the process. I listen with keen interest as Deji negotiates percentages with them. They want a 70/30 sharing quota while he wants a 60/40 sharing quota which they are still adamant on not bending.

"It seems you all are not ready for business. Excuse me." He stands up to leave and I take that as my cue to do the same.

"One.. two.. three..." He counts slowly, which takes me by surprise. Why is he counting? My question, however, is answered when we are interrupted by a voice.

"Deji." Grace says in her annoying flirtatious voice. He stops on his track and I watch as he smirks before turning to look at her. Now I understand the reason for the counting.

"What can I help you with, Grace?" He asks her.

"We will take the deal." She states, smiling, obviously faking it.

"I thought you would not come to realization." He says, walking back with her to the table. I just follow behind them, wowed at the scene that just played off in front of me. It is good to be great at what you do, honestly. Just take a look at how they are rushing to do business with them, desperate to seal a partnership deal with the firm despite being at a disadvantage.

Lesson learnt from this meeting; be someone of value and stand out.

After signing the contract documents and Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), they shake hands and exchange light smiles before we take our leave.

Arriving back at the company, I sharply unfasten my seatbelt and step out of the car in order to avoid the chances of evoking a snide remark from this man.

We walk quietly into the building and head for the 15th floor; more like the devil's lair.

"Where did you say you live again?" He asks.

"Ikeja, Sir." I reply.

He places his hands in his pants pocket to take out his phone.

"Prepare a house for a staff, Mike." He says over the phone and ends the call.

"You will be moving into one of my spare apartments to enable you resume work early." He states. Why does this man like interfering? What is all this? Did I complain about my apartment?

"With all due respect, Sir. I cannot accept it. I have a roommate where I live." I state, rejecting his offer.

"Your boyfriend?" He scoffs

"No. Bestfriend." I state.

"Same difference." He shrugs his shoulders at my reply. What is even his business sef?

"Not a male. A female." I state, just to clear the air before he uses it as a yardstick to melt out more torment on me.

"Oh! And what makes you think you have a choice, anyway?" Excuse you?

"I do have a choice." I say.

"You will do as I say. If this flimsy place you come from daily will reduce your work efficiency, then the first thing to do is get you a house closer to the office." He hisses and turns his back to me, preparing to take his leave. This is insulting because first of all, for someone that has never been to my apartment he has no right to call it flimsy. It might not be up to the standards of them rich kids but it is okay for me.

"I am not going." I don't know what possessed me or filled me with the courage to speak but I did and I am not taking it back.

"You know, what? Pack your bags, we travel to Accra tomorrow evening for that business trip I was meant to go alone." He states while glaring at me, reminding me of his ridiculous attitude.

"But Sir, I was not meant to travel with you." Can this man not give a woman some breathing space at least? How does he expect me to just pack up and travel just like that when this is a trip that we have been planning since this past week, clearly stating that he is expected to go alone.

"I am not negotiating with you. And pack your remaining belongings too because you move straight to the house when we return from the trip." He says, walking away.

"S..Sir." I speak up, gaining his attention once more. He stops just before his office door and turns back to look at me.

"Oh. And kiss your job goodbye if you disobey my orders. Not only that, I will blacklist you that even the masseuse job you once had will be unattainable to you." He finishes, slamming the door shut behind him. Poor door! It did nothing to deserve the punishment melted on it by this brute.

So much for not taking my words back. Gosh! I hate this man. So much!