xvii

the window seat somehow helped me cope up with what happened earlier

the window seat somehow helped me cope up with what happened earlier. i saw a few more, people. some who might've died under the bus. weeping while standing beside the bus driver. cursing him, or the bus, or in general, i couldn't decipher.

it was disturbing to see a pregnant woman, weeping in her bloody clothes. clearly indicating that she and the unborn life died only a few days back, and in the worst possible way. i didn't realize i was staring at her until she looked at me and her eyes filled with emotions i couldn'tunderstand. i quickly looked away. i didn't want to attract any more spirits around me. especially in broad day light.

so to distract myself i looked out of the window, as school kids began to pour out on the roads.

at the last stop, a familiar figure got on the bus rushing towards me.

"bae,wallet please."

i laughed looking at his extended hand. nine out of ten times jeongguk always forgot his bus card.

i quickly handed him the wallet and he went back to the front to pay for the ride.

a few school girls got on the bus and were obviously smitten by his beauty.

jeongguk came back and sat beside me, handing back my wallet.

"i need to start remembering to carry my card." he sighed as he opened up his water bottle.

the bus started again. and chatter filled up the silence. some listening to music, a few standing beside their friends, few working diligently, while others read books. it was always amusing to look at people doing their work.

"excited?" jeongguk smiled looking at me.

"of course. you?"

he nodded and then pointed towards the extra bag he was carrying.

his camera.

"photography club meeting." he smiles as he adjusted his earring. and i swear i saw those school girls squeal.

"will you wait for me? mingyu kept it after classes. he couldn't find time during uni hours since he's a senior now." he sheepishly asked me, fingers rubbing the nape of his neck. it was a habit of his. rubbing his neck when he was nervous or embarrassed. or even shy.

"of course i will jeon." i smiled. "i'll bring us something to eat."

he gave me a thumbs and his infamous bunny smile, the skin around his eyes crinkled behind his glasses.

-•-
there weren't much people and jeongguk bid me his goodbye when he arrived at the anatomy lab. wearing his white coat he hugged me and ran inside where his batch mates were waiting for him.

the walk to my building was peaceful as i let my mind wander, thinking about how this sophomore year went by in a snap and in two months we'll be having our finals. two more years for undergrad.