Chapter 14

I woke up to the annoying chimes of my alarm, and I groggily grabbed at my phone and switched off the alarm without looking at my screen. I took in a deep breath and let out a sigh as I burrowed further into my covers.

Four more alarms before I have to get up.

I told myself as I began to drift off again, just crossing into sleep when my phone beeped with a message. I weighed my options on opening the text, and decided against it. If it was important; they'd call.

And not even a minute after the thought, my phone began to ring. I grumbled and sat up, seeing that Eve was calling. I sighed and answered it, making sure my tired tone was very present.

"I'm outside your door, let me in!" She laughed and I sighed, getting up and trudging to the door, picking up my shirt from the floor and putting it on.

"Why are you here so early?" I grumbled, phone squished between my ear and shoulder as my fingers moved quick to button up the shirt.

"Breakfast, silly. Now c'mon, before food gets cold!" And with that, she hung up. I sighed and dropped my phone onto the shelf next to my front door. I unhooked the chain and twisted the deadbolt and turned the doorknob. I opened the door but found my hallway empty. I sighed and jogged to the front doors of the building, unlocking it and opening the door, yanking Eve inside and hurriedly closing and locking the door again.

"Oh, what a sexy treat? Is this a "thanks" for breakfast?" She impishly smiled at me. I rolled my eyes and speed walked back to my apartment.

"No, this is what happens when you wake me up at a godforsaken hour. But, I will be thankful since you brought food." I winked at her as I held my door open for her and she came in, making a beeline to the coffee table and set the drink carrier and paper bags down.

"I know you; you were already awake." She crinkled her nose as she went to my kitchen. I shrugged and got nosy, creeping to the bags and taking a look at the pastries inside.

"Well, I was still tired. I was getting ready to fall back asleep until my second alarm went off." I chuckled and pulled out a croissant. Eve came over and set down a couple of plates she pulled from a box. I thanked her and sat down on my couch, placing the croissant onto the porcelain.

"Now, I was thinking dinner tonight! It won't be just us, Brandon is wanting to come! Would that be alright?"

Eve had asked me so timidly that I raised a brow at her. I took a bite while nodding at her, a look of "why would you even ask?" on my face.

"That's fine, Girlie. I don't mind." I smiled and she let out a sigh of relief. I took a sip of my coffee and caught her puffy eye, and I nodded my head towards it.

"What happened there?" I asked and it was Eve's turn to raise her brow at me. "Your eye, Babes. What happened?"

She turned white and crossed her legs while situating in a way that made her seem like she was trying to curl in on herself. I sat up straight and let out a breath. "Brendan didn't lay a hand on you, right?"

She shook her head, eyes widening. "No, no he would never do that! I'm just, embarrassed. I was getting ready to go pick up breakfast and I opened up my cabinet and just... wasn't standing far enough away from it, I guess." She muttered and I kept my brow raised, nodding. I wanted to push further, but decided now was not the time for us to be screaming at one another.