Chapter 73: The Date With Keefe

Start from the beginning

Sophie groaned as she shut the music off.

Sophie loved those songs but it was really awkward and embarrassing listening to love songs when she was with Keefe! Especially when he was hinting that the song was meant for them!

And Keefe knew exactly what she was thinking as he looked smug.

Keefe chuckled. "I thought you liked pop songs?" He joked. Sophie's face heated up.

"Shut up!" Sophie growled as she looked out the window.

Sophie wanted to be irritated but she was secretly trying not to laugh at the funny situation. Sophie then just decided to look out the window as she leaned against the strap of her seatbelt.
Keefe just smirked as they stayed silent the rest of the car ride.

Soon, Keefe started to drive towards Mission Beach. Sophie was surprised. Lots of times she tended to forget that where she lives, San Diego, has lots of beaches. But...it was Winter.

"Um are we going to the beach...?" Sophie asked, confused.

"Oh yeah! I'm so excited for the ice castles we are going to make together and to swim in the frozen lake!" Keefe joked sarcastically. Sophie rolled her eyes.

She would just have to see.

Keefe then pulled up in a parking lot right next to the beach. He then hopped out of the car as Sophie took her seatbelt off. When she hopped out of the car, she didn't realize that there was a patch of ice on the ground next to the car. When she landed on it, she started to slip and right before she fell onto the ground, strong hands caught her in the nick of time.

"Just like old times, Foster," Keefe said as he helped Sophie up.

Sophie's mind instantly went to when she slipped on a banana peel at school during the beginning of the year. Keefe had caught her just in time then too.

Sophie's cheeks flushed in embarrassment and the fact that Sophie and Keefe were standing very close.

Keefe then coughed. He then covered Sophie's eyes with his hands. "Hey!" Sophie shouted.

"I don't want to surprise to be ruined!" Keefe said.

"Keefe, if I slam into something, you'll be the one to blame," Sophie threatened.

Keefe then chuckled. "Just trust me," he whispered as his warm breath tickled her ear in the chilly air. Sophie shivered.

Keefe then placed a hand on the low of Sophie's back as he started to guide her to wherever their date was supposed to be.

Excitement ran through Sophie as she thought of all the possibilities as to where Keefe was taking her.

Would she be surprised? Disappointed?

After blindly taking lots of steps, Keefe stopped her. "Alright, stay here and don't open your eyes until I say so," Keefe instructed.

Sophie giggled as she squeezed her eyes even tighter. "Okay!"

Sophie held her breath and started to count the seconds. At five minutes and fourty-seven seconds, Keefe announced, "alright! Open your eyes!"

Sophie bit her lip as she slowly opened her eyes. Sophie gasped and her jaw dropped as she stared at the towering hot air balloon that was in front of her.

"Woah," she breathed as she stepped closer and noticed Keefe leaning against it, looking smug.

"Speechless Foster?" Keefe asked.

"Wow...Keefe, this is incredible! How did you manage to do this?!" Sophie shrieked as she continued to study the hot air balloon.

"It's a secret," Keefe said, winking.