Chapter 43: Nightmares

Just a warning. For most of this chapter, it may be a bit dark and unpleasant, but sadly that's what happens in the real world and nightmares are never calming. This is just a heads up. Now onto the chapter!

Sophie was blinded by the light as she opened her eyes. She quickly sat up to see that she was in her bed. She felt calm. There was a happy vibe around her and she felt full of life.

Sophie then could smell breakfast that was cooking downstairs. Before she got up, her parents came into her room.

Her real parents.

"Mom? Dad? Why are you here—what is going on?" Sophie shouted, confused and shocked at the two figures in front of her.

Her mom made her way over and grabbed a blond piece of Sophie's hair and tucked it behind her ear. "We're always here," her mom said with a warm smile.

"I-I don't understand—how are you alive?" Sophie stuttered.

Her parents looked at Sophie as tears pooled in their eyes. "There's a lot to explain, but we've been alive all this time. But what matters now is that we're here," her dad said.

Her parents then hugged Sophie tightly. But she couldn't hug them back.

This wasn't supposed to be happening and why did they lead Sophie onto the lie that they were dead all this time?

"I don't understand," Sophie said, starting to sob. "You're dead."

Before her parents could respond, Grady and Edaline came into the room with surprised looks when they noticed Sophie's real parents.

"Sophie?" Grady asked, giving her a confused and horrified expression.

"Dad, what going on?" Sophie asked Grady with tears falling down her cheeks.

"Dad? I thought I was your dad," Sophie's real dad said with a deep frown.

"But you are!" Sophie desperately shouted. "I just don't understand what's happening!" Sophie cried.

"I think you have to pick which parents you want," Edaline whispered quietly.

"What do you mean pick?" Sophie demanded, impatiently.

Ignoring her question, both set of parents went on their knees, pleading Sophie to pick one of them.

"Pick us," Sophie's real mother said, gesturing to her real dad too. "We can run again and you can still have the perfect family you have always wanted. You can escape the troubles you are now enduring to a life of love and happiness with us," Sophie's mom said, her voice like silk.

Sophie started to get up to run into her real parents arms when Edaline cried, "Sophie—wait! Please, you don't understand. If you leave Grady and I, we won't have you in our lives anymore. P-Please, Sophie! We love you and we cannot lose you. We love you, Sophie." Grady then put an arm on Edaline's shoulder as his eyes desperately searched Sophie's.

Both set of parents then started calling for Sophie.

Sophie's head throbbed from all the voices.

How could she pick? She loved them both, why couldn't she have both?

"Sophie!" Edaline sobbed. "Hurry! Before it's too late. You have to choose soon!"

"Sophie!" Her real dad cried out. "We are your real parents. You must choose us."

Sophie desperately looked between her two sets of parents. Her real parents and her adoptive parents.