Chapter 5: Gym Class

Thank you so much for 113 reads!! I love you guys so much, now enjoy!

Sophie hated any sort of physical activity. She was bad at it and had always made a fool out of herself. Sophie had Physical Education after History. But when she realized that all of her friends that she just met were in the same gym class with her, she relaxed a little. She would just blend in with the crowd and hopefully will not get noticed.

She could do that, right?

"Hi guys," she said, catching up to her new friends.

"Hey," they all said in unison.

"Be careful, the gym teachers are very strict, but don't worry. I'm sure you'll be fine," Dex told Sophie.

"I hope so," Sophie said, already feeling nervous.

"Come on, lighten the mood a bit Foster! You can do anything!" Keefe declared.

Sure Keefe, sure.

The mentors then started to speak, saving Sophie from a response.

Apparently they were going to be running 3 miles. That wasn't so bad. Sophie was kind of good at running. When she would run, she would imagine channeling energy in her legs to move fast. It was silly, but it worked. (Ha ha see what I did there?) She also used to run a lot when she was younger...she shut those thoughts down.

Before she knew it, the mentors blew the whistle to start. Sophie was near the front with a few others. The first mile went by quickly. The lady timing them said she was a natural. Sophie smiled.

Finally, something she was good at!

Around a mile and a half, Sophie saw a figure catch up to her. She glanced sideways to see that it was Fitz.

"Woah," he said, looking like it was hard for him to speak. "You're... good... at... this." He then gave her a movie star kind of smile. She then noticed how built he was. Sophie blushed and felt fluttery things in her stomach.

Silly Sophie, he just smiled. Relax!

"Thanks, I like running," She replied, finding it easier to speak than Fitz did.

He chuckled, "well you might... be the first...person... I've met that would... say that!"

Sophie immediately felt sadness fill her heart. "Well I used to do it with my parents all the time. It was a family thing...um before they died," she said looking down.

Fitz's face immediately fell. "Oh I'm sorry! I didn't mean—"

"It's fine. It just hurts you know?"

"Well I don't, but I'm still sorry," he said, looking concerned.

"Yeah, um can we not talk about it?"

"Sure," he said, flashing his movie star smile again. "You know, to fit in with our school you, should come to the football game this Friday."

"Oh, you play?"

"Yeah, me and Keefe. Our team is pretty good. You should come and see. It's one of the best experiences!" He looked proud.

"Okay if I have nothing planned then yeah, I'll come," Sophie said, trying to keep her cool.

Of course she had nothing planned! She had a boring life!

Sophie didn't realize that they had stopped running a few minutes ago. Apparently they already ran 3 miles.

"Anyways we should get going," Fitz said.

"Yeah..." Then Sophie noticed a tall girl with wavy brown hair glaring at her. She had purple-blue eyes and had a few girls right behind her, glaring too.

"Um, who is she?" Sophie whispered.

Fitz looked to where Sophie was looking. "Oh. Her. Um yeah, you don't want to mess with her. Her name is Stina and she is basically the school bully."

"Okay and why is she glaring at me?"

"Because she's jealous!" Marella said, as she came up behind them. "She despises anyone who gets attention. Trust me, you're better off not liking her. She's just a brat that thinks she's better than everyone." Then Marella went on talking about all the terrible things Stina has done to people in the past.

Sophie zoned Marella out, wondering why Stina was after her. Like, sure Sophie got attention, but it wasn't because people liked her.

Could Stina really be jealous?

Sophie was suddenly afraid to already be hated by someone.

"You okay?" Fitz asked.

"Um, yeah totally... just um daydreaming. Now, I think I should start getting ready for my next class," Sophie stuttered.

Fitz and Marella looked at each other and then back at Sophie. They looked at Sophie like they knew that wasn't the reason, but thankfully let it go.

"Okay see you later," Marella said.

As Sophie walked back to the locker room, she got slammed into the wall.

"Hey, look who we have here! The FREAK!" Stina cackled, along with her minions.

"Um I really need to be going—"

"Not so fast. You know you should stop your silly crush on Fitz, he's way too good for you. He only likes girls like me. His parents are famous! The whole Vacker family is! Do you think he would care for a trashy girl like you when he's basically the Golden Boy?"

Wait, his parents were famous?

"I-I don't have a crush on Fitz," Sophie stuttered, immediately feeling herself blush head to toe.

Stina and her minions snickered. "Yeah, she's definitely a loser! You should go and leave, no one wants you here. Those little friends you think you made? They're just faking it because they feel bad for you. They shouldn't! You're not worth it!" Stina then shoved Sophie into the pile of dirty gym clothes. "That's where you belong!" Stina said, as she stomped away with her minions.

Then all the other girls in the locker room started to laugh at her.

Was Sophie a loser?

Who was she kidding? Sophie was just finally beginning to feel that she could fit in. Sophie Foster was a loser and deserved no one. That was all she was gonna ever be.

Before Sophie could cry, she ran out to find somewhere to hide. She had to get out of there because she didn't belong.