Chapter 23: Hope

**Recap**

"But what did he want?"

"He wanted to know the address of where your parents used to live."
——————————————————

"What?" Sophie yelled.

No seriously, what?

"I felt the same way Sophie," Grady said.

"But they're...dead," Sophie said, feeling her eyes water. Her mind filled with images as they burned up in the flam—

Sophie shut that thought down. It was too painful.

"I have no idea what this guy wants Sophie, but we will figure it out."

"What about the people who live there now?" Sophie asked.

"Well, I already told the FBI and they are going to give protection to the people that live there now."

"FBI?"

"Yes Sophie, they need to look into this case. There is a reason this guy came to harm us. Right now they are looking in our house for clues."

"Why us?"

"I don't know Sophie, that's what the FBI are trying to figure out. They also have to question us, so when you are ready, I'll let them know."

Sophie took a deep breath. This was a lot to take in.

"What about Edaline? Is she going to be okay?"

"Um about that. Sophie there is one more thing I didn't tell you about yet."

"What? Is she okay?!" Sophie said getting up.

"Sit back down Sophie," Grady said, pushing her back down.

Sophie didn't want to listen to him, but she felt nauseous when she tried to get up. "Tell me," Sophie pleaded.

"Sophie," Grady tried. He opened his mouth to continue, but then a doctor walked in.

"Hello, Mr. Ruewen. Miss Foster. I'm Doctor Rubin." The doctor said, shaking Grady's hand.

"How is she?" Grady asked.

Rubin sighed. "Well, now that we have run some tests, we figured out that she has gotten an infection from the knife. The infection is powerful, at first we didn't know why, but when we tested the knife, it had poison on it. She has a low chance of surviving."

"No!" Grady yelled as Sophie cried in horror. "That's not true! Tell me it's not!" Grady stalked up to the doctor, getting in his face.

"I'm sorry. But, there is a chance that we can save her."

"You better! You better do the best you can! It's on you! If you don't save her I'll—"

"Dad, it's going to be okay," Sophie said, tears filling her eyes.

Grady's features softened. He ran over to her, kneeling down as he buried his face in the sheets of the bed.

"I'll leave you two alone, but if you want to see Edaline, now is your chance. After that, we will be closing her visiting hours due to the delicate procedures that we will have to perform," Rubin said, leaving.

Grady immediately jumped up, followed by Sophie. "I need to see her too," Sophie said, before he could make her sit back down.

Grady sighed as he wrapped an arm around Sophie.

Walking out, Sophie tried to tell herself that Edaline would be alright.

She's fine. They'll save her.