Chapter 68: Released

"You and your friends will be free to go! Along with Grady and Mr. Forkle," Doctor Trebert said, writing something on his clipboard.

"Really?" Sophie exclaimed, jumping up from her hospital bed.

"Yes, but take it easy. I'll be sending medication for you to take to help with your panic attacks."

Sophie was too excited to care about her stupid medication.

She had been in the hospital for four days and it felt like forever! She couldn't even visit or see anyone—not even Edaline.

"So, everyone is healed and can go home for sure?" Sophie asked, having to make sure.

Doctor Trebert pressed his lips together as he turned off some machines. "Well...not everyone will be going home today."

"My mom can't? Is she okay?" Sophie asked, remembering how he didn't mention her.

"No, your mom is actually healing up well. She just has to stay at the hospital for two more days before she can go home. But you can give her a quick visit before you leave today," Doctor Trebert said.

Sophie sighed in relief. "But," Doctor Trebert added. "Your mom wasn't who I was really talking about."

Sophie's stomach dropped. "Who?" Sophie demanded.

"Well, Linh is still in her coma and there's no telling how long that will last."

Sophie's heart crushed as she thought about how Linh must be suffering, how long she might be gone for. The girl was so sweet and didn't deserve any of this.

No one did.

"Can we visit Linh?" Sophie asked.

"Not today, but you guys can visit her tomorrow. But, just remember that you'll just be staring at an unresponsive body. Linh won't even be able to hear you," Doctor Trebert warned. Sophie blew out a breath.

It would be hard, but Sophie would stay strong. And so would Linh.

"So...just my mom and Linh right? They'll be the only ones who aren't leaving?" Sophie asked.

"No."

"No?" Sophie asked, her heart dropping.

"Dex will be staying for another week."

"What! Why?" Sophie demanded.

Even Edaline wasn't staying that long!

"Because his leg is going to be amputated," Doctor Trebert said, giving her a sympathetic look.

"WHAT? APUTATED? Why?!" Sophie shouted.

"The hypothermia hurt his leg bad and I'm afraid we'll have to amputate it. It's the only way—I'm sorry."

"So, there's nothing to fix it?" Sophie asked.

"No, I'm afraid not. Dex will have to be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. And maybe test out a false leg but that's not the same," Doctor Trebert explained.

No! No! NO!

This couldn't be happening...

This was how it was going to be. Dex would be missing a leg...and it was because of the Neverseen.

But...it was Sophie's fault. If she hadn't dragged him into this mess, he would have been safe.

All of her friends would...but it was too late. The Neverseen was already after them because of Sophie.