35

Whelving Warmth
Chapter 35

"Mababaw ba, Sariah? Sorry, pero dito kasi umiikot buhay ko. There's a lot of people who plays dirty in my chosen profession. It's so easy for them to take a life. Kung buhay ko lang, okay lang sa akin. But yours? And our child's?"

Muli akong napaupo sa swivel chair dahil sa sinabi niya.

He looks so lost and frustrated while explaining his side. "When.. when I saw you got shot, I was terrified. Natatakot ako sa posibilidad na pwede ulit yun mangyari. Natatakot ako na maaring sa susunod hindi lang yun ang matamo mo. Natatakot ako na mawala ka."

"You're not going to lose me"

He smiled bitterly, "I got a message when you're getting treated. They told me that if I still won't let go of the case, the next bullet will pierce in your heart."

Napaawang ang bibig ko. Unti-unti nang naiintindihan ang dahilan ng naging kilos niya. He received a threat for my life. If I were the on his place, I would probably be frightened to death for him.

"But my thirst for justice consumed me. Gusto kong mapabagsak yung mga taong kagaya ni Sen. Herrera. He needs to be expose. He should pay for his sins. Our countrymen doesn't deserve people like him to seat in that position. I wanted you safe but at the same time I don't want to let go of the case. I became confident that nothing bad would happen to you because of our set-up."

"But when you said that you're pregnant..." his voice was hoarse. He squeeze his eyes shut, "That's when cowardance took over me."

My hand unconsciously landed on my tummy behind the table. "Akala ko matutuwa ka," mahina kong sabi.

"The woman I love with all of my heart is carrying my child. How can I not be happy? Pinangunahan lang talaga ako ng takot," he explained. "I have you and our child now. That means I have the two of you to lose now. Dalawa na kayong pwede mapahamak dahil sa akin."

Tumahimik ako at hinayaan lang siyang magsalita.

"It suddenly came into my mind that your life would always be at risk. Kahit matapos 'tong kasong 'to, hindi natin masisigurado kung titigil na sila. We don't know what cases will I handle in the future. Pwedeng mas malala, mas delikado. It's possible that more people will be after you. And...that's not the the life I want to give you, Sariah."

"Theo..."

"I needed time to think. I love my job, but I love you more. Mas mahalaga kayo ng anak natin. Mas mahalaga na ligtas kayo. I'm considering to let go of the case and stop practicing law."

Halos hindi ako makahinga dahil sa inamin niya. "No, Theo. No."

He worked so hard to be in his place. Pangarap niya 'to!

"That's the only thing I could do to stop the threats."

"No, Theo. You're not going to give up your dream. Ikaw nga yung mismong nagsabi na ipaglaban ko yung pangarap ko, tapos yung sayo isusuko mo?"

He gave me a small smile, "But you were right when you said that sometimes you need to sacrifice it for more important things."

"But you don't have to sacrifice your dream for us," I softly said. Tumayo ako at pumunta sa harapan niya, "We're going to chase our goals and dreams together. Always beside each other, hand in hand. Walang bibitaw."

I reached for his face and stared at him lovingly, "You don't have to worry about me. About us. I'm ready for eveything that can happen when I decided to chose you. I'll face everything with courage because you're with me. We can handle everything as long as we're together, right? We're brave together, diba attorney?"