Part One - Chapter Thirty-Seven: Family Moments

Bojan squealed excitedly as he watched Nora open her birthday presents, it was his older sister’s sixth birthday and everyone had gathered together to celebrate; Nora was excited and had gotten up extra early.

Vanessa settled Bojan on her lap, she pressed a kiss to the top of her three month old son’s head glad that they were all at home together; she peeked over at Olalla who looked a little uncomfortable.

Fernando sat down next to his wife, he knew that his ex-girlfriend was struggling a little especially since it had been made clear that Aaron wasn’t welcome in their home.

Aaron had only gotten worse since Fernando had married Vanessa and the couple didn’t wish for him to make trouble on Nora’s birthday or upset the balance of their home.

“A new dolly,” Nora squeaked excitedly, she pulled the dolly from the wrapping paper and showed everyone; she had no idea of the tension that was building between her parents.

Olalla wasn’t happy that her husband was being excluded from everything and Nora’s time in London had been ruined because of Aaron’s beliefs that the world would be better without royalty.

Fernando smiled, he knew that things weren’t easy but he wasn’t going to fight today with anyone; they had come together for Nora and he wanted his daughter to be happy.

July was always a big month for Fernando, not only was it Nora’s birthday but it was also Vanessa’s twenty-ninth on the 22nd and their fourth anniversary on the 19th.

“How was your honeymoon?” Elizabeth asked sipping on her tea, she was happy that Vanessa and Fernando were home and she was sure that the summer would be a wonderful time in Andorra.

Fernando was due to undertake his first royal visit the next week, he would be attending a summer fait with Vanessa and everyone was looking forward to it.

***

“Have you decided on a name yet?” Vanessa asked looking at Olalla, she didn’t want things to be awkward between them and she was sure that Nora wouldn’t want her parents fighting over her.

Olalla looked at Vanessa, she knew that the brunette wasn’t trying to make things difficult and her husband was being rude by trying to force his beliefs but it didn’t make things easier.

“We have a couple,” Olalla replied politely, she rubbed her hand against her bump and smiled; she was thirty weeks pregnant and the last few months had flown by.

Aaron had been so helpful and Olalla knew he would be a wonderful father to their daughter, she just wished that things were as simple with Nora; she didn’t like the distance between her and her eldest.

Olalla hadn’t been far from happy about the news that Nora had been given titles when she herself didn’t; she could only imagine the trouble when her daughter grew up and Nora was Viscountess of Santa Coloma.

“Aaron must be excited,” Vanessa continued trying to stay polite, it wouldn’t end well if they all started fighting and Nora was blissfully unaware of the trouble that could all kick off at any moment.

Olalla nodded, she appreciated what Vanessa was trying to do and she wished that things didn’t have to be like this; she wanted more time with her daughter but it just wasn’t possible now.

Vanessa looked over at Fernando who was fussing over Bojan, she smiled remembering how he had been while she had been pregnant and she was sure he would be the same one day when they had another.

The couple knew they wanted one or two more, they loved having children and they wanted a big family; Nora and Bojan were just the start for them.

Olalla closed her eyes, she wasn’t sure what was going to happen in the next few years but some day Nora would be living with father while he was King of Andorra.

***

George sipped on his drink watching his daughter with Bojan, it had been a long day and he knew that it was just the sign that she would be a perfect Queen when he was gone; it was something that he had thought a lot recently.

George wasn’t going to abdicate no matter how much the doctors thought that he should, he wanted Vanessa to enjoy herself right now while she could.

The King hadn’t even told his mother that he was seriously ill, he didn’t want to worry her when she had gone through so much since she had lost his father; former King Arthur had passed away nine years ago and it still hurt Elizabeth to this day.

“You seem distracted,” Fernando said sitting down next to his father-in-law, it was something that he had noticed a lot especially in the lead up to the wedding; he knew something was bothering George and he hoped it wasn’t serious.

Fernando knew that George had the weight of a country on his shoulders and he couldn’t imagine what that was like; sure he had played for Spain but being a King was different.

“Just a lot on my mind,” George replied glad that he had gotten to see one of his children marry, he couldn’t imagine what he was going to miss when he passed away.

Charlotte and Henri had been pretty serious for a while now and Joseph had yet to settle down like his older sisters; it made George wonder what else he was going to miss when he was gone.

Fernando raised an eyebrow at George, he didn’t know what to say but he was sure that Vanessa would happily take on more duties if something was seriously wrong.

“You need to relax more… it can’t be good for you all of that stress,” Fernando said moving to look at his wife and children, the party was now over and Olalla had moved back to her hotel not wanting to be around her ex’s family.

“I’m happy that she found you, she’s never been so happy,” George mused smiling, he couldn’t have found anyone like Fernando for Vanessa and he was glad that his eldest daughter had settled down.

Fernando looked at George, he had no idea what had brought this on but there was something very clearly wrong; he had known his father-in-law for nearly a year now and he could tell something was going on.

“You’ll make a wonderful King one day Fernando,” George continued patting Fernando on the shoulder before he walked away to get himself another drink of coffee.

Fernando watched after his father-in-law, he had no idea what had made George say something like that to him; he was sure that George had many more years as King of Andorra ahead of him.

“Everything okay?” Vanessa asked walking over to her husband, she smiled at him completely unaware of the odd conversation that Fernando had just had with her father.

Fernando nodded his head and kissed Vanessa, he lifted Bojan into his arms and hugged his son close; he wasn’t going to tell her what was going on.

Fernando didn’t want Vanessa to worry and he was sure that George had a good reason for being odd; he would keep an eye on things before he worried his wife for no reason.

“Everything is perfect,” Fernando replied kissing Vanessa again, he loved his wife and he knew that things weren’t going to be simple; his first royal duty was next week and he needed to prepare for that.

Vanessa looked at her husband, she didn’t believe him for a moment but she didn’t question it; Fernando would tell her when he was ready.