Part One - Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Future King

Vanessa gritted her teeth as another contraction hit, they were slowly getting closer together and she couldn’t wait until she could go to the hospital.

Fernando was loyally by her side, he refused to move since he didn’t want to miss anything; he held Vanessa’s hand allowing her to squeeze it.

Flori counted how far apart the contractions were, she was thrilled to be able to help in some small way; it was the very early hours of the morning and the house was silent.

“Five minutes apart… time to go to the hospital,” Flori said pleased, Vanessa’s waters had broken nearly half an hour ago and she was sure that there was still a long time before the baby would arrive.

Vanessa groaned, she’d been in labour for around three hours now since her contractions had started and she just wanted it to be over already.

Fernando sighed in relief, he didn’t like standing around waiting for this to happen and he wanted Vanessa at the hospital right now; he didn’t want anyone hounding them when they arrived at the hospital either.

Nora was sound asleep not aware that her baby brother would be arriving soon and she would be surprised in the morning when she woke up and discovered that she was home with alone her grandparents while Fernando and Vanessa were at the hospital.

“Get the hospital bag,” Flori gently reminded her son, she knew he was worried about his fiancée and that he might lose his head; he had nothing to be worried about right now.

Vanessa took some deep breathes as she looked at Fernando, this could be a long labour and she knew that they would be at the hospital for a couple of days; she had everything packed ready into her monochrome geo print weekender bag which was in their bedroom.

***

“Everything looks good Vanessa,” Charles said checking Vanessa’s file as Fernando helped her settle on the hospital bed; everything had gone well with her checks and they were moving a long quite nicely.

Fernando smiled, he had no idea what he would do if something was wrong; he looked at Vanessa who had changed out of her street clothes and was wearing a pale blue pure cotton spotted nightdress.

“I’ll be back in a little while to check on you,” Charles said smiling before he left the couple alone, the palace had announced that Vanessa had gone into labour and it wouldn’t be long until paparazzi would be sat outside of the hospital.

Vanessa leaned back on the bed, she was hopeful that she wasn’t going to be in labour for too long; she didn’t want to be in labour for hours and hours.

The couple were surprised that they had been told that Vanessa was around four centimetres dilated, they still had a bit of a wait for the brunette to give birth; it would be a little while until she had reached ten.

“How do you feel?” Fernando asked looking at Vanessa, he wouldn’t be leaving her side at any time unless he had to; he wanted her to be relaxed and he didn’t think he could bare to leave her alone.

Vanessa smiled a little, she had no idea how long it would be until she gave birth and she could only hope that it was sooner rather than later.

“I’m fine… just a little achy,” Vanessa said resting a hand on her bump, she rested her head back on the pillow and watched Fernando; she closed her eyes sure that things would be fine.

Fernando took a deep breath, he slowly moved to sit down next to Vanessa knowing that it was going to be a very long day; he just hoped their little boy wouldn’t keep them waiting long.