Part Two - Chapter Three: Feeling Better

Vanessa brushed some hair from her face and smiled watching Fernando sleeping, she was glad that he was getting some much needed rest; tomorrow was her father’s funeral and it was going to be a long day.

Vanessa pressed a kiss to the top of Fernando’s head before she left him in their bedroom, she silently closed the door behind her allowing him to continue sleeping since he deserved a lie in.

The house was silent and Vanessa was a little relieved, she doubted it would be long until Nora and Bojan were awake and would want some breakfast; she headed for the kitchen wanting to make breakfast for her family.

Vanessa tied her hair back and nibbled on her lip, the past week had been hard for all of them and she truly didn’t know what she would have done without her family; it was going to get better and she was sure of that.

Fernando’s parents had arrived the day before and checked into a hotel for a funeral, they didn’t want to overcrowd the couple while they prepared to bury George; it was strange for them to think that their youngest son was now King Consort.

Vanessa quietly set about making pancakes for breakfast, she felt normal for once and she was going to make the most of it; she didn’t feel like she could burst into tears at any moment.

The brunette worked in silence preparing breakfast for Nora and Fernando, she was certain that they would love whatever she made and she wanted to do something special.

It wasn’t long before Vanessa heard movement in the living room, she wiped her hands on her jeans; she walked out of the kitchen to find Nora rubbing her eyes tiredly.

“Buenos Días… I’m making your favourite for breakfast,” Vanessa said smiling at the little girl, she knew things hadn’t been easy for Nora who had yet to go back to school.

“Fruity pancakes?” Nora asked excitedly, a smile forming on her face at the thought of what could be for breakfast; she only had fruity pancakes on special days and her father usually made them for her.

Vanessa nodded her head, she had wanted to do something nice for her step-daughter especially since Nora had been so well-behaved after what had happened.

“Of course… why don’t take a seat and I’ll get you some orange juice,” Vanessa replied brushing her fingers through Nora’s hair, she wouldn’t have made it through the past week without her family.

Nora squeaked excitedly before hurrying over to the table to sit down, she watched Vanessa head back into the kitchen; she was so happy to be having fruity pancakes for her breakfast.

Vanessa quickly pouted Nora some orange juice and plated up the little girl’s pancakes, she didn’t want to wake Fernando yet since he needed to sleep; she wanted him to rest after everything that he had done for her.

“Here we go,” Vanessa said setting down Nora’s breakfast in front of her, she was relieved that it was so quiet and she hoped that it would stay that way; she wanted her home life to be as peaceful as possible after what had happened.

Nora thanked Vanessa before she started to munch on her breakfast happily, she couldn’t remember the last time that things had been so normal; everything had been so up in their air since her Grandpa George had passed away.

Vanessa smiled watching Nora before she heard Bojan start to whimper, she had made sure to grab the baby monitor on her way out of the bedroom earlier so Fernando wouldn’t be disturbed.

Moving to go and get Bojan, Vanessa wondered what she would have ever done without her family; they had been the reason that she had survived what had happened so well.

***

Fernando blinked the sleep from his eyes as he slowly woke up, he couldn’t remember the last time that he had slept so well; he had been so worried about Vanessa that it had taken so much out of him.

Rolling over in bed, Fernando frowned realising that he was alone and sat up wondering why he hadn’t noticed that Vanessa was gone; he looked at the clock next to their bed and blinked surprised at the time.

Carefully moving out of bed, Fernando ran his fingers through his hair and took a deep breath; he couldn’t believe that he had slept so late into the day.

Fernando stretched and walked out of the master bedroom, he blinked surprised to see his family settled on the couch watching some Disney movie; he hadn’t been expecting this when he had come out of the bedroom.

“Papa,” Nora squealed climbing off the couch and hurrying over to her father, Vanessa had told her to let her father sleep since he had been so stressed recently with everything that had happened.

Fernando wrapped his arms around his daughter and hugged her close, his eyes peeking at Vanessa while she sat cuddled up with Bojan; everyone was still in their pyjamas and it made him curious what was going on.

“We’re having a pyjama day,” Nora explained proudly, a smile on her face as she stared up at her father, she had missed him while she slept in and Vanessa had assured her that Fernando was perfectly fine.

Fernando nodded his head as he watched his wife, she balanced Bojan on her hip as she got to her feet; he was a little worried that she had taken on to much the day before her father’s funeral.

“Madrastra made us pancakes,” Nora continued moving to lead her father over to the couch, she kept a hold of his hand so that he couldn’t escape her.

Fernando nodded his head, he watched Vanessa as she disappeared into the kitchen; he needed to talk to her once Nora was settled down watching her film again.

“What are we watching?” Fernando asked sitting down with Nora, he kept an eye on the kitchen wanting Vanessa to come back; he wasn’t going to let this go when he wanted her to take things easy.

Nora cuddled into her father’s side as he pulled the blanket back across her, she stared up at him with a smile; she had been worried that he would miss all of the fun by sleeping.

“Mulan,” Nora replied turning her attention back to the film, she was so happy that Vanessa had got so many of her favourite films; she held her father’s hand making him smile down to her.

Fernando cuddled his daughter close, his eyes focusing on the movie wondering what he would ever do if anything took things like this away from him; he adored his family and he wanted nothing more than to protect them.

Vanessa returned carrying a plate of food, she smiled handing it to Fernando knowing that he had to be hungry; she sat down next to him with Bojan on her lap while her husband looked at her puzzled.

“Choc chip, peanut butter and banana pancakes,” Fernando said smiling, they were his favourite and his stomach grumbled at the smell; he leant over and kissed Vanessa softly, he had no idea what had made her get up and do all of this.

“Gracias,” Fernando murmured softly, he wanted her to take things easily and he hoped that this was a good sign; he wanted to protect her since they had so much happening now.

Vanessa shook her head, it was the least that she could do after all he had done for her; they were happy and they were going to survive whatever happened tomorrow at her father’s funeral.

Fernando kissed his wife, he wouldn’t be leaving her side tomorrow no matter what happened; she was going to need him.