Part One - Chapter Eighteen: The Spanish Designer

Vanessa sighed brushing some hair from her face, she was sat in the state room along with her sister and grandmother; they were waiting for the chosen designer to arrive to talk to them about Vanessa’s wedding dress.

“How are things between you and Fernando?” Elizabeth asked sipping on her tea, she watched her eldest granddaughter knowing that things had been a little tense between the couple.

It had been two weeks since their scan and it was becoming clear that Fernando wasn’t happy about something, he seemed upset about something and Elizabeth worried that the footballer wouldn’t be able to cope with everything.

“He’s okay… he misses Nora,” Vanessa said softly, there was little that could be done about the distance that lay between Fernando and Nora; it was something that was playing on Vanessa’s mind recently.

Elizabeth nodded her head, it wasn’t a fair deal that Fernando had gotten when he had moved to Andorra; he barely had any time with Nora and it was bound to affect the relationship that the father and daughter had.

“Have you considered bringing her schooling here? It would be a lot safer for her,” Charlotte said recalling the pictures that she had seen in the paper that morning; Olalla was clearly struggling with being hounded by the press.

Vanessa shook her head, she didn’t feel like it was her place to say anything to Fernando especially with ideas like that; Olalla had made it clear that Nora wouldn’t be coming to live in Andorra permanently.

“Just suggest it… her poor mother certainly isn’t able to keep her safe,” Elizabeth said agreeing with Charlotte, the press in Andorra had a lot more respect that they did in England; Nora’s protection was important and Olalla didn’t have any way to stop the paparazzi from hounding her.

Vanessa thought silently about what her grandmother had said, she nodded her head making a note to speak with Fernando; she didn’t want to cause him problems with an already irate Olalla.

The sound of the doors opening made the three women turn to look who was coming in, it was the butler followed by the designer that they had summoned to the palace.

“Introducing Rubén Perlotti,” the butler said as Rubén bowed down, he had been truly surprised when he had been invited to Andorra; it didn’t take a genius to guess why he had been invited and it surprised him.

Rubén peeked at the royal ladies as he was left alone with them, he had been ordered to sign a confidentiality agreement before he had been even allowed to step foot before them.

“I suppose that you know why you have been called here señor Perlotti,” Elizabeth said setting down her cup, she looked at the designer; she was sure that they had chosen well for the man to design Vanessa’s wedding dress.

Rubén nodded his head, he peeked at Vanessa who hadn’t moved to greet him yet; he felt nervous since this was an important, everyone would know his name when it was revealed that Vanessa had worn a dress that he had designed for her wedding day.

“You signed all of our agreements?” Elizabeth checked, she needed to know that he wouldn’t go running to the press and telling them everything; there were things that had to stay secret.

Rubén nodded his head, he was sworn to secrecy until the wedding day and he wouldn’t risk anyone finding out anything from him.

“Good,” Elizabeth said firmly, she knew what was at risk and they still had three weeks before Vanessa’s pregnancy was announced; they didn’t want anything happening before then.

***

“What do you see for the wedding dress?” Vanessa asked looking at Rubén, they had spent the last hour talking about what she liked and what she didn’t; she was curious about what he had in mind.

Rubén swallowed nervously, this had to go perfect and he was determined not to let this moment slip through his fingers; it could further his career if he managed this.

“I see you in ivory, a floor-length hemline with a sweep train, the neckline off-the-shoulder and short sleeves… it’ll be a lace-up back and will have fluffy lacy waistline,” Rubén said carefully, he could already see the dress and he couldn’t wait to sketch it; he wouldn’t tell anyone what he was doing, the dress would be the world’s best kept secret.

Vanessa nodded her head, the dress sounded wonderful and she was a little excited to see what Rubén came up with; she was a little nervous about someone finding out what she would wear.

“I can have sketches done by the end of the month,” Rubén said wanting to impress Vanessa, he had eight months until the wedding to get the dress ready and that also included fittings; he would have to find a way to keep the dress hidden.

Elizabeth nodded her head, there was only one problem that she could foresee and that was the pregnancy bump that would continue to grow; they would have to find a way to do fitting around it.

“That sounds wonderful,” Elizabeth said with a smile, there hadn’t been a wedding in so long for the main family and the entire country was excited about the impending one.

Fernando and Vanessa were liked by the people and it was a good sign, they would both have a wonderful marriage as long as they found a way to handle the situation with Nora.

***

Fernando messed with his phone as he waited for Vanessa to come home from her meeting, he nibbled on his lip remembering the angry phone call that he had gotten from Olalla.

Fernando had been surprised to hear from her that afternoon, it was only when she had shouted at him that he realised that something had happened when she was taking Nora to school.

The paparazzi didn’t care how much the former footballer or Olalla asked them not to go near Nora; they were still taking pictures of the little girl and harassing her.

Fernando had been even more saddened to learn that Nora had been dismissed from her school, they couldn’t handle the media attention and they didn’t want her attending their school anymore.

Closing his eyes as he heard Vanessa step into their home, Fernando took a deep breath wondering what he could do; Olalla was refusing to let Nora come and visit and he hated the sound of his daughter crying for him.

“Nando… is everything okay?” Vanessa asked pausing when she spotted her fiancé, she could see from his posture that something happened; she swallowed as he opened his eyes and looked at her.

Fernando stared at Vanessa for a moment, he loved her more than anything and he wished that there was something that he could do to make this work; however Nora’s safety came first.

“Nora’s been kicked out of her school…” Fernando said slowly, he messed with his phone for a moment while Vanessa felt her stomach twist; she had no idea what he was going to say next.

Fernando continued to watch Vanessa, he didn’t know what he was going to do; he needed to think of something that he could do to help Nora.

Vanessa closed her eyes, she had a horrible feeling that she knew where he was going with this; she worried that this would all be over before they’d had a chance.