Part One - Chapter Seventeen: The Baby Scan

Vanessa took a deep breath as she brushed her fingers through her hair, she blinked a little admiring the small bump that she now carried; it wasn’t much to look at but at thirteen weeks pregnant it was something.

Fernando smiled watching Vanessa get ready for the day, they were due to head for their scan and he couldn’t wait to see the baby; no one seemed to have noticed that the couple were expecting yet and that was good news for them.

Fernando’s eyes travelled down his fiancée’s body and landed on the tiny bump that she was carrying, he couldn’t believe that there was finally a small sign that their baby was in there.

“You look beautiful,” Fernando said getting off the bed and walking over to Vanessa, he wrapped his arms her and gave her a kiss; he knew that this was going to be okay and nothing else mattered.

Vanessa grinned, she turned around and kissed Fernando hoping that today went well; she didn’t want their news to be revealed before they were ready.

Fernando rested a hand on the small bump, it was now the end of September and in a few weeks they would tell everyone the wonderful news that they were expecting their first baby together.

“Did you call Nora?” Vanessa asked knowing how often Fernando spoke to his daughter, she would be visiting at the end of October for half-term and a room had been prepared for her.

Fernando nodded his head, he had called to speak with Nora that morning before school and she had been a little excited about the news that Vanessa was having a scan to see her new brother or sister.

“I promised to call her later,” Fernando said smiling, he brushed his fingers through Vanessa’s hair before he kissed her again; everything was going perfectly and he doubted anything could ruin this for them.

***

“Vanessa it’s wonderful to see you again,” Charles Francis said smiling at her as she stepped into his office, he had been the royal family’s doctor for years and would be the one to deliver the baby.

Fernando took a deep breath, he had known that the doctor would be a man but that didn’t mean that he was at all relaxed about it; he was sure that Charles would be fine delivering the baby.

“Now I have your test results from London and everything looks good,” Charles said nodding as he checked Vanessa’s file, he smiled pleased with the blood work that he had gotten; the last thing they wanted was for anything to happen to the heir to Andorra’s throne.

Fernando took Vanessa’s hand and squeezed it as he sat down next to her, he was relieved that she was okay and that was what mattered to him.

“Have you thought about the delivery that you want for your baby?” Charles asked looking at the couple, nothing that was said in this room would be repeated and there would be no announcement from him about the pregnancy since that fell to the palace.

Fernando swallowed, he was sure that Vanessa wanted to do this as natural as possible; he would support her no matter what she decided as long as she was happy and okay.

“We want a natural birth, if that is possible,” Vanessa said carefully, she wanted to push her baby into the world and she would do that if she had the chance; however if the baby was too big for that then she would accept any other alternatives.

Charles nodded his head and made some notes, he checked a couple of things before he turned to look at the couple; he was sure that the pregnancy would progress well enough for Vanessa to deliver the way that she wanted to.

“Okay… shall we do the scan?” Charles asked looking at the couple, it had been a long time since a royal baby had been born; the last had been Vanessa’s younger brother Joseph and he was now twenty-four years old.

Vanessa nodded her head as she took a deep breath, she tried to recall the last royal baby that had been born; a lot of lords and ladies had children but this would be the first main royal to be born in a long time.

It made Vanessa a little nervous about having her baby, her child would become second-in-line to the throne and would be her heir if anything happened to her.

Fernando sat loyally by Vanessa’s side as Charles moved to scan her stomach, he took a deep breath wondering what they would have; they weren’t going to find out for another few weeks but he was curious.

“Everything looks good,” Charles said allowing the couple to see their baby, it had grown so much since they had last seen it; they were happy and that was what mattered.

Fernando grinned, he had no idea what would happen when the news broke that they were expecting; he honestly didn’t care what people thought only that everything was okay for Vanessa and the baby was okay.

“Niño,” Fernando murmured making Vanessa raise an eyebrow at him, she was curious about why he had said the word; it had been his nickname when he was younger and Vanessa knew that he hated when people called him that.

“Nickname for the baby,” Fernando said with a smile, he kissed Vanessa knowing that the nickname would do until they found out what they were having.

***

Vanessa smiled listening to Fernando speak to Nora on the phone, she was looking forward to having the little girl visit and it would allow her to adjust to the changes in her life when her father became a prince.

Vanessa was still working things out with her father especially when it came to the title that Fernando and Nora would hold when the wedding happened; she didn’t want Nora feeling left out when the baby was born.

It wouldn’t end well and Fernando now saw Nora so little because of the arrangement that he had with Olalla; it wasn’t an easy thing for him to do.

“I miss you too,” Fernando said watching Vanessa from where he was sat, he sighed running his fingers through his hair; he wished that Nora could be with them but Olalla would never allow it since she would want Nora with her.

“I promise… the next couple of weeks will fly by,” Fernando said trying to sooth Nora, he closed his eyes wanting to hug her and tell her that it would be okay.

Vanessa looked at him, she hated that there wasn’t something that she could do to help and she had a feeling that this would only get worse as Nora got older; short of finding a way for Nora to come and live with them there was little that she could do to help.

Fernando hung up the phone and leant his head back against the coach, he had no idea how this would get better; he missed Nora and the separation wasn’t going to get easier when he would have her for so little time.

Olalla would never allow Nora to move to Andorra and Vanessa was tied to her country because she would be Queen; Fernando wanted both of them yet couldn’t seem to have them.

Vanessa watched him, fear bubbling inside of her and she knew that sooner or later this would cause problems for them; a fight was bound to happen when Fernando got frustrated with being stuck in Andorra.