Part One - Chapter Twenty-One: Remembrance Day

Vanessa took a deep breath as she followed after her father and grandmother, it had been a week since her pregnancy announcement and she was pleased that the reaction had been so good.

Nora had settled into her new school well and Fernando was doing his best to make sure that everything was perfect for her; he wanted to have Nora as settled as possible.

“The service was wonderful,” Elizabeth mused as they walked out of the church, it was a tradition going back years that the royal family went to church on Remembrance Day and then they went to lay the wreath.

George nodded his head, he was pleased that this year all of his children were in attendance and that people had taken the news that Vanessa was now nineteen weeks pregnant well.

“How is Nora settling in?” Elizabeth asked looking at Vanessa, she had yet to meet Fernando’s daughter and she was curious about the little girl.

Fernando wasn’t in attendance for the royal gathering since he wasn’t a royal member yet, it would be next year that he would be expected to attend with Vanessa.

“Very well… I think she’s enjoying her new school,” Vanessa said fastening the buttons on her black double breasted pea coat, she had worn a black double layer pencil dress paired with black patent strappy sandals for the service.

Elizabeth nodded her head, they were lucky that Olalla had agreed when they had the paparazzi had gone crazy when the royal pregnancy had been announced and there was no way Olalla and Aaron would have been able to cope.

Vanessa carried a small bump and it was unmissable from under her dress and jacket; the pictures would be all over the papers in the next few hours.

***

Bowing her head during the two minute silence, Vanessa took a deep breath as she stood beside her father; she closed her eyes thinking about all the people that had been lost in the past and would be lost in the future.

The ringing of the church’s bells signalled that the two minute’s silence was over, Vanessa opened her hazel eyes and looked up; she brushed her fingers gently over her small bump with a smile knowing that she could wait to find out what she was having.

“Your Royal Highness,” the prime minister greeted with a bow of his head, he hadn’t seen much of Vanessa since her announcement to parliament that she was to marry Fernando.

Vanessa smiled at him Alonso Meraz was a popular prime minister for Andorra and the royal family knew that he had worked hard to make their country prosper.

“I hear congratulations is in order, when is the baby due?” Alonso said walking alongside Vanessa, he and his wife were very close with the royal family since he had been prime minister for six years now and there was an election coming up in two years.

“Early April,” Vanessa replied thinking about how far that date seemed to be away from now, she was just over four months and things were going so well.

Alonso nodded his head, it would be another great celebration for the country with her wedding following two months later; it had been a long time since Andorra had something like this to celebrate.

“It’ll be a national celebration,” Sheila Meraz said standing beside her husband, she smiled a little since their future prince or princess was due around the same time as Prince William’s; she didn’t know what would happen if the two future royals were born on the same day.

“It certainly will… the baby will be our future monarch,” Alonso said proudly, it was a delightful thought that Vanessa and Fernando would have an heir when they became the monarchs of Andorra.

Sheila nodded her head, everyone was curious about what the baby would be; it didn’t matter to anyone if it would be a boy or a girl, either way it would take the role of monarch when Vanessa stepped down.

“Niño,” Vanessa corrected without thinking, she was so used to the nickname that Fernando had given their bump; she had gotten used to calling the baby that name since they didn’t know what they were having.

Alonso and Sheila shared a look, not quite sure what Vanessa was talking about as the brunette blushed realising what she had said; it was rare that she mentioned the nickname outside of the house.

“It’s a nickname that Fernando and I gave bump,” Vanessa explained, she looked over at her father while he spoke to a war veteran; she was glad that everything had gone so well and she couldn’t wait to head home to her fiancé and his daughter.

***

Fernando smiled as he moved to greet Vanessa as she walked through the front door, he had watched everything on television and he was relieved that she hadn’t faced any trouble from anyone.

It had been hard for him to stay behind while she was doing her duty but since he wasn’t a member of the royal family yet and he wasn’t allowed to join Vanessa when she undertook royal duties.

“How do you feel?” Fernando asked helping Vanessa out of her coat, his fingers brushed against her bump and he couldn’t wait for their next scan so that they could see their baby.

The couple had already decided that they didn’t want to know what they were having since they didn’t want the news to be leaked out by anyone; it was a private thing and they wanted to enjoy their pregnancy without the rest of the world butting in.

“I’m fine,” Vanessa said kissing Fernando, she brushed her fingers through his hair, she was happy and she was glad to be home so she could relax with Fernando.

Nora would be home from school soon and she doubted that they would have much time to themselves with the five year old; it was something that the couple were used to.

“Did you speak with the caterers?” Vanessa asked looking at Fernando, she hadn’t been able to do it before she had left for church and Fernando had promised to ensure that he spoke with the caterers for the wedding.

Fernando nodded his head, he chuckled kissing Vanessa and held her close so he could enjoy a moment with her without interruptions.

The wedding planning was coming along nicely and Fernando couldn’t believe that Christmas was coming up so quickly; six weeks wasn’t a long time and he was hopeful he would get time with Vanessa.

“Nora will be home soon,” Vanessa mused pulling away from Fernando, she looked up at her fiancé; she didn’t want the little girl to come home to seeing her and Fernando making out.

Fernando nodded his head, he sighed resting his head against Vanessa’s wondering how he had gotten so lucky; he had never thought that he would have anything else like this in his life.

Ducking down to kiss Vanessa again, Fernando led his fiancée into the living room and sat down with her; he brushed his fingers against the bump and he smiled knowing that it wouldn’t be long before the baby would arrive.

“Are you sure you don’t want to know what we are having?” Vanessa teased with a smile, it was a long time to wait and she was curious about what they were going to have; Fernando shook his head, he didn’t want to risk anyone else finding out.