Part One - Chapter Twenty-Four: George's Gift

“Padre what are you doing here?” Vanessa said looking at her father as he walked into the living room, she hadn’t been expecting to see him today and she was sure that he would have called if he was visiting.

George smiled as he moved to kiss his daughter, he knew that she hadn’t been expecting him but he hadn’t been able to resist coming around especially when he had gotten word that his gift was ready.

“I came to drop off my Christmas gift,” George said moving to sit down, he wanted to give the couple their gift before Nora went to London for the holidays.

Fernando and Nora walked into the living room and paused surprised to see George, they hadn’t known that he was coming around and they were sure that the king would have things to do so close to Christmas instead of visiting them.

“George,” Fernando greeted, he felt on edge seeing his future father-in-law in the living room; he looked at Vanessa who only smiled at him, he was sure that everything would be okay.

George nodded his head in greeting as Fernando and Nora moved to sit down, he was glad that they had caught them all together; he wanted the gift to be a family thing.

“You were saying something about a gift,” Vanessa said smiling at her father, she was curious about why he would be exchanging gifts with her now; it was something that was usually done during the Christmas lunch.

George nodded his head before signalling for the gift to be brought in, he smiled sure that the gift would be perfect for them; Nora watched as it was placed on the table wondering what it could be.

“What is it?” Nora asked making George chuckle, he wasn’t going to ruin the surprise for them when it came to opening his gift.

“You’ll have to open it to find out,” George said amused, he was sure that the gift would be perfect for the family; it was fitting with family traditions and he knew how much it would mean to them.

Nora set about opening the gift while Vanessa and Fernando watched, they didn’t know what George could have brought them; they watched patiently as Nora opened the box.

“It’s a puppy,” Nora squealed excitedly staring into the box as a red and white Border Collie puppy stuck his head out of the box; she gently stroked the puppy as she turned to look at Vanessa and Fernando.

George grinned, he had chosen the puppy carefully after a long time thinking about the type of dog to get the couple.

“He’ll follow in the line of royal dogs,” George said proudly, he knew that the puppy would be the perfect addition to the royal family; Elizabeth had a Poodle called Rommel, George had a Labrador called Charles and Margaret had a Shih Tzu called Pippin.

Vanessa opened and closed her mouth, it was a standing tradition that the family would gift dogs to the newlyweds; she hadn’t been expecting the puppy until next Christmas when she was married to Fernando.

“What’s his name?” Nora asked continuing to stroke the puppy, she had always wanted one but Olalla had refused saying they didn’t have the space for one in their very big house.

George smiled, he had fancied a small break from tradition when he had seen the puppy and that was why he was handing them the puppy now.

“Why don’t you name him?” George encouraged, he had wanted a unique dog and he was sure that the Border Collie would stand out; he couldn’t think of anyone else royal who had one.

***

“Can Biscuit sleep in my room?” Nora asked hurrying into her bedroom, she had spent most of the afternoon playing with the puppy and Fernando wasn’t surprised that she wanted him to sleep in her room.

Biscuit had quickly made himself a part of the family, he was adorable and it was easy to see why George had chosen him as the pet for the small family.

“Maybe when he’s older,” Fernando said stepping into Nora’s bedroom, he doubted that Biscuit was house trained yet; the last thing he wanted was the puppy getting used to peeing in the house.

Nora pouted but nodded her head, she clambered up onto her bed as Biscuit rushed into the room after her; he waggled his tail and bounced over to the bed.

Fernando chuckled and moved to pick the puppy up, he held onto Biscuit as he moved to tuck Nora into bed; he was sure that it would take some time to get used to having the puppy around.

“Please…” Nora said looking up at Fernando with big brown eyes, she stroked Biscuit who wiggled in Fernando’s arms wanting to be put down.

Fernando sighed and shook his head, he knew that he couldn’t give in since Biscuit had a basket set up in the living room; he was sure the puppy would be comfortable there for the night.

“Papa,” Nora said looking up at Fernando, she wanted to keep Biscuit with her since she wouldn’t get much time with him; she was due to leave to stay with her mother in a couple of days.

***

Vanessa laughed softly as Fernando returned without Biscuit, she wasn’t surprised that Nora had managed to convince him to allow the puppy to sleep in her room; she leaned back on the couch as Fernando sat next to her.

“You gave in,” Vanessa said setting down the baby book that she was reading, she was twenty-four weeks pregnant and they still hadn’t settled on a name that they liked.

Fernando nodded his head, his fingers moving to brush against the bump knowing that he couldn’t wait for the baby to be born; he moved to kiss Vanessa when his phone rang.

Vanessa sighed resting her head against his, she knew that it would be Olalla calling to discuss the details of Nora going to London; it wasn’t easy but it had to be done.

Fernando gave Vanessa a quick kiss before he pulled back and moved to answer the call; he closed his eyes wishing that this could have been easier.

Vanessa watched Fernando as moved to check her list of baby names, she had several that she liked and all of them would be great for their baby; she moved to look through the baby book.

Fernando watched Vanessa read through the book, he was sure that they would settle on a name before the baby was due; Noah, Leo, Bojan, Oscar and Joshua were his favourites from the list.

The Spaniard had a feeling that it would be one of those and with sixteen weeks left, he hoped that they settled on a name for the baby soon.

Fernando blinked as his attention moved back to Olalla, who was speaking to him over the phone; he swallowed as she spoke quietly to him making him smile a little.

“Okay… I hope you feel better,” Fernando said looking at Vanessa who stopped what she doing and turned to look at him; she watched him wondering what was going on.

Fernando hung up the phone and smiled at his fiancée, he knew that it wasn’t the best news that he had gotten but it would make his holidays better.

“Nora’s going to spend Christmas with us,” Fernando said quietly, it was a shame that Olalla wasn’t well enough to have the little girl home but from what she had told Fernando it was for the best.

Vanessa nodded her head hoping that everything was okay with Olalla. 

###

Author's Note:

What do you think of Fernando's little short list of names? Which name is your favourite?