Part Two - Chapter Seven: Normal Lives

“They wish to send us to Australia next year as if we don’t have enough to do,” Vanessa muttered annoyed with a shake of her head, she knew that it was part of being a member of the royal family but it couldn’t have come at a worse time.

The couple hadn’t been sent on a royal tour yet and Vanessa had been a little surprised when one had been suggested with everything else that was happening next year; there was already a royal wedding and a coronation happening.

“So soon,” Fernando mused from his place on the floor with Bojan, he was playing with the eight month old and was enjoying his time with his son while he could.

Things had been so busy for the royal family and Fernando knew that it was something that he would never get used to; Fernando rested his back against the coach watching Vanessa closely.

“They’ve wanted to send us on a tour since we married… they think next year would be good for us,” Vanessa replied moving to sit down, she was so busy organising for the Christmas festival, the Christmas service and her Christmas speech for the holidays.

Fernando grumbled and shook his head, he knew that they were doing so well and he didn’t want to stress Vanessa out with everything that was going to happen in just a few short months.

“How long for?” Fernando asked moving to sit Bojan on his lap, he wanted to make sure that his children weren’t going to be disturbed; he wanted to keep Nora and Bojan as normal as possible.

Fernando didn’t want his children to focus on the facts that they were royals, he knew that it wasn’t going to be easy but he did want them to have a calm up bringing away from the stress that their parents had to deal with.

“Two weeks,” Vanessa said recalling her meeting, she was sure that it would be a bit like a holiday and it was going to be interesting; she couldn’t recall the last time that she had been on a royal tour.

***

“How was school?” Vanessa asked looking to Nora, she knew that the school term was over in a couple of days and that things were calming down; she recalled her time at school fondly and wished that she could go back to how simple things used to be.

Nora smiled as Vanessa set her beef pot roast with olives and capers in front of her, it was one of the few times that they had all been able to eat dinner together since George had passed away; it was something that Fernando and Vanessa tried to do at least once a week.

“It was good,” Nora replied sipping on her juice, she’d had fun and she loved spending time with her friends; they didn’t care who her family were, they only thought of her as Nora.

Fernando settled Bojan into his high chair, the little boy wasn’t due to go down for his nap for another hour and he had some blocks to play with having already had his own; it was peaceful for the family and they were going to enjoy it.

Vanessa watched Fernando with their son, she loved having children and hoped they would be blessed with more one day; she had always wanted a big family and having another baby or two would be perfect.

Nora talked about her day while everyone tucked into their dinner, she told them about her friends and the films they watched since it was the end of term and the teachers were letting lose for the holidays.

Vanessa was quiet as she enjoyed her dinner, her mind thinking of the approaching plans for 2016; they would be in Australia for two weeks in February, Charlotte was getting married in April and then there was her own coronation in August.

Things were going to be busy and Vanessa hoped that they would be able to handle everything that was going to be thrown their way; she didn’t want her marriage or family to suffer.

***

“You were quiet over dinner?” Fernando asked once he had settled Nora down for bed for the night, he looked at his wife hoping that everything was going to be okay; he could only wonder what was going on through her mind.

Vanessa blinked turning to look at her husband, she hadn’t heard him come into their bedroom and she was a little surprised; she nodded her head moving to sit down tired.

“Amor… you can tell me anything,” Fernando murmured sitting next to Vanessa, he could see that everything was starting to build up and he didn’t want her overdoing it.

Fernando was doing his part as King Consort but he knew that certain things had to be done by his wife since she was the Queen; he could only imagine how bad things were going to get when they had been coronated.

“It’s nothing… just me being stupid,” Vanessa murmured forcing a smile, she didn’t want to worry him when he had enough on his mind without her adding to it.

Fernando hadn’t been trained for any of this and she had, she had been trained her entire life for this moment and yet Vanessa was starting to feel pulled down with everything that she had to do.

“You’re never stupid Nessa,” Fernando said wanting his wife to share with him, he kissed her knowing that it had been a long time since they had been truly alone like this.

Fernando brushed his fingers through Vanessa’s hair and wondered how they would cope if they started to shut each other out; he didn’t want their marriage to suffer in anyway, he wouldn’t let them fail where her parents had done so.

Vanessa rested her head against Fernando’s and smiled at him when they pulled apart, she had no idea what she was ever going to do without him by her side; she needed him as much as she needed to breathe.

“I worry we won’t be able to cope,” Vanessa whispered staring into her husband’s brown eyes, she wasn’t going to admit to him yet that she wanted another baby; they had enough on their plate without adding another baby to the mix.

Fernando shook his head, he had the same feeling sometimes and it was the reason that he did his best to make sure their children had a normal home life; he didn’t want anything ripping them apart when they were so happy together.

“Of course we will… we just need to work hard to make more time for our family,” Fernando murmured pulling his wife close and hugging her, he was sure that between the two of them they could ensure that everything worked out and nothing ruined things.

Fernando knew they both had duties to attend to and George’s death had put a lot of pressure on Vanessa but he wasn’t going to lose his wife; he feared that she would go the same way as her father if she let everything build up and crush her.

“I love you,” Vanessa whispered to Fernando, she could always count on him and she had a feeling that he wouldn’t let them get to a point where they hated each other like her parents had.

Fernando gave Vanessa a kiss, he pulled her onto his lap knowing just what would make her feel better; they hadn’t been intimate in months and he knew that it would make things right between them.

“Te amo,” Fernando replied slipping his hands under Vanessa’s shirt, he wasn’t ever going to let anything stop him from showing her how much he loved her.

Vanessa and the children meant the world to him and nothing would ever change that fact. 

###

Author's Note:

When do you think Vanessa and Fernando should try for another baby?