Chapter 68

I hear my own heart beating faster than it has ever been able to take. I have no idea how we got here, everything has spiraled out of control and I feel like I don't know myself anymore. 

Ava and I look at each other with horror written all over us. There's no escaping this and even if we could, I wouldn't have the energy to nor the will. Liam's body lies motionless on the bag as blood slowly travels out of him.

"I can't believe we did it," I say quietly as I stand there not moving a muscle. Ava looks at me with wide eyes before the both of us finally start laughing. 

It's a weird emotion but somehow it feels right. The fireworks light up the sky with bright colors which seems to be the opposite of what's going on down here . . . on the ground.

"quick let's grab the body," Ava says and I nod. 

Wrapping Liam's body into the large plastic bag isn't the easiest task I've ever taken a part of but it's definitely the most rewarding.

We carry Liam's body into the trunk after searching the area for possible blood spots. As we start our hour-long drive, I can't stop my mind from rambling internally. It's funny how Liam's family never even once crossed my mind until now.

I somehow unknowingly assumed that he didn't have anyone who loved him. How could anyone love a serial rapist?

Liam was meant to go; one way or another and all we did was call karma sooner. 

I feel calm despite my stomach telling me that throw up is on its way, a part of me knows that what we did was something my conscious mind will regret for the rest of my life but the other part of me knows that if I hadn't done what I did; I'd be damned for life.

Liam's body bounces up and down with the holes in the road which weirdly reminds me of my first day at college, back then, I had no clue where all of this would lead, and if I had even a single clue I wouldn't have made the mistake that was Liam's charm, if I had just known then what I know now, I would have never danced with the devil-like I now have. 

As we slowly approach our destination we both grab gloves, sanitizing them and rubbing them with bleach, making sure our fingerprints are nowhere to be found we. 

Drop the body from the truck and onto the grass below which only brings us a disturbing thud. As Liam's cold, lifeless body rests on the ground below us, we clean every crevis of the car with bleach, sanitizer, and all kinds of spot removers, making sure that every window and door is open for the strong smell to evaporate, leaving no possible trace back to us.

The cold air fills our nostrils and the silence roams around us as the fireworks have finally disappeared. 

I start getting cold feet even though I know that, that feeling is a few hours late. Knowing that Liam's bodybag is in my arms being dragged across the tall grass makes me sick. I look over at Ava, wanting to see if she's feeling the same but she looks to be calm. I canðt helo but feel like the world knows what I'm doing, it's as if everyone is aware that I have now murdered someone in cold blood. 

I look up at the tall trees swaying from the wind and it almost feels as though they're trying to communicate; telling me that they know what I did.

"you. Know I've never been this glad my dog was so huge." Ava says as we stare into her dog's grave.

"are you. Sure you're okay with this?" I ask.

"I'm sure, he wouldn't have minded, he would have torn Liam apart and I like knowing that now my dog will always watch over us by running after Liam in hell." She explains and I give her the warmest smile I can manage.