12

I, Emily Elizabeth King, have been officially forgotten by my best friend. Well, she had overslept, but still! The woman left me standing in the cold morning fog all alone. So instead, I took my baby—my beautiful Honda Accord—to school.

I had talked to Casey a little on the phone. She sounded...different and I knew instantly that my usual bubbly best friend was sulking over the fight she had with my older brother. Her and I talked a little about the fight between her and Isaac but not much... Casey was my best friend and I knew whenever something bothered her, she closed herself off, deciding that she'd rather deal with it internally than talk about it.

I'd have to talk to her later...

Tapping my fingers against the wheel, I turned up the radio as Don Henley's song Boys of Summer played. The song reminded me of the Summer, given the name, but the lyrics just always made me think about the beach, the sunset, or driving along the highway by the coast.

The beach had always been my happy place, one of the few places I could just sit and think without being distracted by the things around me. It had been the same for my mother too. Mom had never asked for much in her life, she was gave to others, but in her final days, she asked that she be buried by the sea. So, in a small cemetery sitting on a cliff that hung over the deep blue sea, the waves lapping gently below her, every sunrise and sunset witnessed by her—there, in that small cemetery is where she was laid to rest. A place she had finally found peace.

The song on the radio drifted through the air like soft waves along the rocks as I pulled carefully into the school's parking lot. Turning the ignition off and pulling the key out, I didn't turn off the radio as I sat in the car.

I just needed the silence for a minute—just the softy melody and nothing else.

And with the softest care, the gentlest wave built with the melody rose higher and higher—a calm wave in a rough sea—until it crested, the lyrics ending as the wave spiraled beautifully, gently washing along the sand.

And just like any irritated maestro whose symphony had been interrupted, I glared as an obnoxious engine roared beside me. I wasn't even surprised who it was as I watched a sleek sports car pull into the parking spot beside mine.

My window had been rolled open, so when the passenger window on his car rolled open, I didn't waste a second to glare daggers at the asshole behind the tinted James Bond window.

"Daydreaming about me, buttercup?" He smirked, pulling his sunglasses off as he cut the engine.

I snorted, fiddling with the gold butterfly around my neck, "About murdering you and dumping your body in a back alley and ending my misery for good" I smirked, tilting my head at him, "How very observant of you."

"Tsk," He waved a hand at me, "Lies, lies, lies."

Sure.

I rolled my eyes, looking back down at my lap as I glided a finger down the small seashell keychain on my car keys.

"So, are we going in or not because I'd be more than up to getting something started in the backseat of your car." I jumped ten feet at the deep voice now at my window.

I glared at the massive idiot now leaning against the frame of my window, his elbows pressed against my car. I gasped, pushing his hands off, "Get your greasy hands off my baby!" I cried, reaching back and grabbing a towel to wipe the area where his hands had been, "Put your hands somewhere else."

"How about I put them on you?" He smirked.

I gave him a dry look, "Okay that was just horrible. You can do way better than that. I've heard your perverted head come up with way more creative lines that that."