9

What the freak?!

Kaden walked across the field with long and easy strides, his fingers gripping the barred part of a helmet. He looked like a true player, a general of the field, and technically, seeing as he was a quarterback, he really was the general of the field... behind me of course.

He was talking to my brother, discussing something intensely before he nodded, grinning at the guys as they all slapped him on the back, happy to see him around. Looking up, searching the bleachers, he found me and winked.

Of all the arrogant...

Scowling, I reached down, picking up my pencil and ignoring the fact that he was still looking over here. Ignore.

Dad had all the guys start warming up before he set them all into different stations, working on drills and skill sets as he assessed the guys. Most were good, average maybe, there were a few particular guys who shined others, but none—as much as I hate to say it—matched the spawn of the devil.

He moved across the field with a swiftness that made anyone stop, hypnotized by the talent as they watched. The guy really had talent, but I'd never say it to his face.

After an hour of drill after drill, dad had eliminated more than half of the people who had tried out for the team. Each time dad didn't see something he liked, he tapped them out, giving them the jerk of the thumb over his shoulder.

Cut throat—that's what this was.

Dad ended up splitting the rest of the guys up into two teams—newbies and returning players—which fortunately, none of the returning guys had been cut.

Kaden was put with the newbies and I smirked. Dad was trying to see how he'd do against our returning guys. Dad was smart like that, testing limits and talents.

The scrimmage began and me, being the maniac in the stands, screamed and cheered when the guys scored, fist pumping the air when Aiden did a little dance in the endzone. But the tides began to change after a huddle and Kaden's team of rookies got a first touchdown, then a second, then a third, and then another.

There was only a few minutes left of the scrimmage and I was on the edge of my seat, biting my nails, "Come on guys." I muttered, hoping Aiden or Damien, someone, was giving the guys a talk. If Kaden won against the guys, that would just be sad.

The huddle ended and the teams were on the lines again. My eyes drifted from Aiden, moving across the field, until they landed on Kaden—he nudge a head subtly at one of the rookies. My eyes narrowed. What was he planning?

One of Kaden's players hiked it back to him and everything just seemed to run in slow mode, yet, happening so fast I barely realized it as it happened.

The returning team sprinted towards Kaden who was scanning the field, ready to throw. He went to throw it to his right yet no ball ever went that way and by the time the guys realized that, Kaden was bursting through them, sprinting down the field, zig zagging through returning players. Touchdown!

I shot from my seat, my jaw hitting the ground as I watched the rookies all gang up and hug Kaden who threw the ball on the floor and celebrated with his team.

What the actual freak was that?! I swear I had seen everything yet... what the actual heck! That was awesome!

Dad called the guys together and I went over, curious as to what dad had to say about...whatever had just happen. I mean, what the heck?! Kaden freaking Reyes had just beat the returning players with a team of rookies! How was that even possible?!

"Good scrimmage, boys." My dad stated, before looking over at Kaden. Dad assessed the kid down her nose, keeping his face neutral, but I already knew dad was definitely giving him a spot. "Reyes."