16

16

I finally caught up with JJ and he didn't slow down when I couldn't keep up.

"Hey, wanna talk about something?" I asked gently, panting to keep up with his brisk walk.

"JJ are you sure you're going to be alright?"

"What choice do I have?"

"I'll stay with you if you like."

"Really, you'd do that?"

He pulled my waist in tightly for a kiss and I smiled reassuringly when he pulled away. He didn't let his smile falter until we reached the porch of his house and his eyes darkened.

"If something happens in there, I-I'm sure we'll be fine because I have you, but if it does, just leave. I don't want anything to hurt you," he warned me, and I squeezed his hand, knowing he was referring to his dad's violent tendencies.

We stepped inside the run down building and I knew why he stayed at John B's so much now. Luke Maybank was passed out, presumably drunk, on the couch, a beer can in his hand as various others lied on the floor or on the table. Everything was everywhere and we barely made it to the stairs without waking him up. We were almost safe in JJ's room before something clattered downstairs and we froze.

"Wait here," JJ whispered, and I looked at him with wide eyes as he descended the stairs again.

"Boy? Is that you?" I heard Luke slur, and couldn't hear JJ's response.

There was the cracking of beer cans and I was worried a fight would break out, so I tiptoed slowly down the stairs to poke my head out, but slipped and fell on my ass, crashing loudly so everyone was alerted.

"Who the fuck are you?" Luke yelled, and I scrambled to my feet stuttering something incoherent.

"Dad this is Y/N, my girlfriend. We're gonna stay here tonight."

JJ's dad chuckled loudly and I wondered what he found so funny, but kept quiet.
"So you're bringing your whores home now?"

JJ's jaw clenched as he opened his mouth to defend me.
"Don't disrespect my girl."

Luke got right up in JJ's face and I winced as he got him by the throat, JJ making no move to defend himself. After slamming him back into the wall once, Luke grabbed his keys off the table and left the house.

"JJ-"

"Let's just go upstairs."

He turned on the small TV in his room and I stroked his hair as he lied on my lap, letting himself be vulnerable with me. We weren't paying attention to the TV, JJ's jaw kept clenching and I tried to distract him by playing with his hair, but he was seething with anger.

"Babe, please just talk to me," I begged.

"I shouldn't have got mad at John B," he whispered, sitting up to face me.

"It's understandable, Sarah is Rafe's sister, and we hate Rafe."

He ran his hands through his hair, and I knelt up on the bed to kiss his cheek.

"John B can date whoever he likes, it's not my business," he sighed.

"Why don't we just forget about it all?" I suggested, and he nodded, climbing into the bed beside me and putting his head on top of mine as we watched the TV.

We got bored quickly though and started making out, JJ checking that his door was locked so his dad couldn't disturb us when he got back home.