8
After half an hour, I got bored, so I undid my window and shimmied out onto the drainpipe until I could stretch to the trees, but scraped my knees on the rough branches because I was wearing shorts. I really wished I had my own car at times like these because the walk to the Chateau was tiring, and I'd left my phone in my room so I couldn't even call someone to pick me up.

"Hey what happened? I thought you were meant to be with your step-grandma or something," John B called as I trudged though the door, sweaty and out of breath.

"Eugh don't call her that!" I scoffed in disgust, as I plopped myself down on the sofa and grabbed a beer from next to Pope.

"Dad locked me in my room and told her I was out, cause he wanted to have a 'nice family meal' and apparently I'm not part of the family."

"Shit, that sucks," JJ sympathised, pulling me into his side on the sofa.

"I climbed out the window, fucked up my knees - but at least he'll have a nice surprise when he realises I really am 'out'," I chuckled.

Kie went to get the first aid kit, which was running low on supplies since us pogues were never ones to shy away from a fight, and kindly cleaned and put bandaids on my scraped knees.

"Your family sucks," she said, and I nodded in agreement.
"Can I stay here tonight, John B?" I asked.

"All of you are always welcome. Why don't you all stay tonight?" he offered. Kiara and Pope called their parents who surprisingly agreed, they told them it was for my birthday which made me laugh because it was nowhere near my birthday, but at least it convinced their parents.

JJ lived at the Chateau almost as much as I did, his home life wasn't great either, and I'd met his dad on a few occasions, who made mine look like a saint.

"I call spare room!" Kiara shouted.
"I call pull out bed!"

"Looks like it's you and me," JJ winked.

I didn't mind, the spare room got cold and the pullout bed was lumpy, but Pope could fall asleep anywhere so it suited him. The sofa was big enough for both of us, but we always spooned, it made me feel safe and I think JJ liked the comfort too.

"I'm really sorry again, about the other day," JJ whispered in my ear and I turned to face him.
"It's okay."

He was lying on his back and I was curled up into his side, his arms holding me in close and his head on top of mine. I was completely sandwiched into his body and I felt safe. I always felt safe with JJ.

The paradise couldn't last though, when I woke up I had an overwhelming feeling of dread as I thought about what would happen when I went home. My Dad would be sooooo angry. The longer I left it, the angrier he'd be, so I decided to be brave and face him sooner rather than later. I wrote a note to the other pogues, telling them I'd gone home, and walked back slowly.