Chapter Sixty-Nine

Alina

Neil, Ron and I were equally tempted to kill the shifter that sat a few feet away from us. He dared to take the form of our Alpha and mock us. We also knew that killing him right then would only complicate the situation further. We were yet to get answers from him. We still had to find Luke and James. A part of me knew they were safe, somewhere hiding if not held captive by the shapeshifters. I also knew the shifters wouldn't dare harm them for they were both an Alpha.

I really want to kill him right now. - Neil mind-linked Ron and I. It's freaking me out how he exactly looks and smells like our Luke.

I know right. - I heard Ron say. I'm confused to see how this is even possible.

Tell me about it. I'm hating him yet at the same time his face makes me want to be loyal to him. - Neil expressed his dilemma. This is the same face I grew up with.

I understand. - I said through the mind-link, recalling the time when my own brother, Andrew tried to hurt me. He thought I was planning to harm his mate and instinctively decided to believe his mate over his own sister. He tried to strangle me to death, without even hearing my side of the story.

A sudden thought entered my mind. Most of my relationships, regardless of its title as family or lover, never lasted. At times it felt like I was cursed. Maybe that was the reason why all of my relationships fell apart. I was not ready to let go of Luke and the shifter in his form, sitting a few feet away from us, calling me annoying was not helping me either.

"You went dead quiet, sweet cheeks." The shifter looked at me and smiled.

He smiled a lot. A lot more than he should. I never thought an enemy could possibly smile as much as he had in the past sixty minutes.

"You are straight-up insulting me." I deadpanned, offended.

"Oh, is my sweet cheeks mad at me?" He cooed.

"I am not yours and can you stop calling me that," I growled.

He chuckled.

"You haven't answered any of our questions yet." Neil pointed out. He had an annoyed expression on his face. I could tell he was tempted to kill the shifter and was having a hard time controlling his emotions.

Ron, on the other hand, looked calm. He kept staring at the shifter, almost trying to drill answers just through his gaze.

The shifter looked unfazed.

"You three keep interrupting me. How am I even supposed to answer?" He raised his shoulder blades, almost like a shrug.

"Fine. We won't interrupt." Ron said. "You can continue."

"Continue from where exactly?" He asked, confused. "It's a long story."

Just fucking start already. - Neil growled through our mind-link.

"You can start off by telling us where our Alpha Luke is?" I wagered for answers. "Do you know where is Alpha James?"

He laughed. "I am Luke. I'm sitting right in front of you."

That's it. I'm killing him. - Neil snapped.

Stay calm. - Ron and I said in unison.

"Alright. Let's talk from the very start." The shifter said, pointing his index finger. "I know you must be wondering who I am? Well, I'm indeed a shapeshifter and you can call me Luke."