Chapter Twenty-Two

James

"And," Jace paused, "I might just happen to know what you are thinking about." He mused, his eyes glowing with curiosity as he scanned my face.

"What... Do you mean?" I asked, my voice cracking in the middle of the sentence.

It was not possible. It couldn't be. It has been three years now, and till now, not a single soul was capable enough to tell I was rejected. Everyone believed Hailey to be my real mate, they much to my expectations, took the bait rather quickly. I didn't have to struggle to get them to like Hailey, because indeed Hailey's behaviour towards them softened their hearts for her. And to be very honest, Hailey was a good Luna and a mate for me.

"And what do you claim to know about me?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Something you don't want anyone to know." He leaned down and whispered in my ear. His tone was cold followed along by his face, sending shivers down my spine.

"Stop. Just stop this shit." I growled, walking past him, fumed.

"Such a coward you are." He paused, his eyes changing itself to a darker shade, "You are unfit for this position."

I scoffed, "You're the one to talk. You didn't even get the position to begin with."

A smirk crept up his lips, "That you are right. But at the same time, you know nothing brother. And trust me when I say, nothing."

"You are surely not going to monopolise in this mind game of yours." I stated with a smile, "Because you're of no position to talk."

"Ah, so many assumptions made by my little brother."

"Just stop calling me your brother." I scowled.

What was up with him calling me brother all the time? The word I despised the most.

Wait, maybe that was the reason why he was calling me brother. A purpose to piss me off.

"If only, I wish I could," he sighed, "But unfortunately, I can't, since you're related to me by blood, brother."

"Such a shame." I spat.

"Indeed, the feeling is mutual here."

I scowled again as I glared at him. If only I could throw him out right now for his misbehaviour. But unfortunately, I couldn't. Even though I was the Alpha, throwing someone out of the pack was a gruesome decision which in only extreme cases were applicable.

"Hailey is not your real mate, now is she?" He asked, his lips twitching to form an ominous smirk.

"Yes, she is my real mate." I muttered, through gritted teeth, "And what do you mean by real mate?"

"Lie." He laughed, "Forging a mate, maybe?" He furrowed his eyebrows, tilting his head to the side looking at me.

"That is not even possible. How do you even forge a mate? Anyone would die without their other half being alive, especially due to the pain caused by it, let alone forge a mate." I stated.

"Oh, you seem to be quite experienced about this death thing. I don't remember asking you about the consequences of the other half being dead?" He raised an eyebrow. "You talk like as if you are speaking from personal experience."

Shit!

Talking to Jace had its own con since his experience of talking things out of people was extraordinarily praiseworthy. He knew his ways when it came to forcing information out of people and maybe that was the reason why dad liked him better in comparison to me.

"I could say the same thing you know." I taunted.

Those living in a house made of glass should never throw stones at others. Because who knew what a single stone could cause? Especially to the house made of the glass itself.

"Hah," he smiled, "My case is different, you see."

"And how is it so?" I asked, intentionally.

"Because," he shook his head, "Since you and your mate are together for, I suppose, three years now, shouldn't you guys already have a few pups or something?"

"Pups?" I choked out, "What the fuck, man!"

"So what's the reason?" He mocked, his smirk never leaving his face.

"There is no reason!" I denied it.

"Well, let me tell you something. The reason is that you guys are not real mates." He stated, his smirk fading for a second.

"You're the one to talk." I glared at his expressionless face.

"You're just too greedy indeed." He chuckled, "Anyway, good night, brother." He said ruffling my hair with his palm.

I slapped his hand away, "Wait, tell me, why don't you mate with another she-wolf?"

"Maybe because I don't need another one." He smiled, his eyes glowingly changing its colour to a golden shade.

"Do you already have a mate?" I frowned.

But how could that be possible?

"Bingo." He said and disappeared into the dark through the corridor.

I stood there behind him, watching his figure retrieve itself back into the dark, blending in as if it belonged there from the very beginning.

James. Are you there? -Drake mind linked.

Yes. - I replied.

Come to the office. He said, blocking me off without giving me the chance for further interrogation.

His timings were never accurate and always had to create a feeling of distress within me. I cursed him mentally as I traipsed my way towards the entrance of the office.

"So what is it?" I asked, walking inside and closing the door behind me.

"Nothing, really." He said, his head lying on top of his arm which was resting on the table.

"Then why did you call me?" I shouted.

"Well, really." He paused.

I waited a couple of minutes for him to respond but much to my unfortunate luck he didn't open his mouth to speak.

"I'm leaving," I announced, turning my head toward the door. I took a few steps forward and turned the doorknob.

"Wait." He called from behind.

"Now what?" I turned around, narrowing my eyes at him.

"I just got informed that an Alpha got attacked earlier today," Drake said, drumming his fingers on the wooden surface of the table. His face looked bored as he sighed and continued glaring at a piece of paper in front of him.

"Alpha?"

A/N:

Am I the only one who thinks Jace is being a bit too nosy? What do you think? Comment below.

And please don't forget to vote and comment if you like this chapter.

Thanks for reading.

Till next time.

-peaceout-