Chapter Seventeen

James

"It has been a very long time and you haven't changed a bit, brother."

My gaze shifted towards the door to see a tall figure leaning against the frame, his arms crossed, resting against his chest. A rather familiar smirk playing on his lips as he leaned there looking at me.

"Jace," I growled.

"Still greedy as always." He laughed, moving away from the door. His hands which previously rested on his chest, now hung loosely while a few fingers dipped inside the pocket of his jeans.

"What do you want?" I asked, my palm hitting against the table causing a loud fraction of sound.

"Some things never change," he smirked, his eyes glowingly forming its own devilish atmosphere, "Brother."

A part of me knew he was mocking me intentionally. Even after all these years, he dared to show up at my doorstep and mock me while he stood in my territory.

It was unacceptable for anyone to provoke an Alpha while standing in his territory. No matter whether it was family or not.

"What are you doing here?" I growled, not liking the smug on his face. Jace was still very similar to what I could recall of him before he left. His face was quite similar to mine other than his hair colour which was pitch black.

"Dude," he rolled his eyes, "It's not like I'm here to take your pack away." He scoffed, "Maybe I am," he whispered, his voice barely audible, "You never know."

"Get out!" I yelled and pointed at the door, "You shall be punished for not taking my permission before your arrival here."

He raised an eyebrow, "And since when did I ever listen to you, little brother?"

Brother.

The word itself sounded so wrong coming out from his mouth. It was not a normal way of confronting, other than the coldness of his voice which indeed was giving away a very different story. Every single time he called me brother, I could feel the hatred radiating through that particular word, no matter how polite he pretended to be.

"Since I became the Alpha."

"Your hunger for power, I suppose, never subsided." He laughed, his voice louder than before. The carefree demeanour he had around himself was indeed a success, for no one could figure out the dirt within him.

"Jace-"

"James," Drake interrupted, "Jace is not here by his own will."

"What are you talking about?" I snapped and turned my head towards Drake. His eyes held an unknown emotion which for a second I could confirm as pity.

"I had no intention of walking in your territory, as you claim it. I was called by father and that's why I had to walk in without your permission." He shrugged, "It's not like I have something left here to take back."

"Yes he is right, James" Drake backed him up.

"Plus," Jace smiled, "I wouldn't mind saving your worthless pack from the rogue attacks."

"How dare you insult my pack?" I growled.

I balled my fist and was about to hit his face when suddenly a cold palm gripped my hand and pulled it away to a different direction, deflecting it from hitting his face.

"Please keep your hands away from my master." A girl comparatively shorter than me by a foot appeared in front of me. I pulled my arm away from her grip and stood there looking at her in disbelief. She was even shorter than Hailey.