Chapter Fifty-Seven

Alina

The gore scenario in front of us left everyone speechless. The house we were at was surrounded by fire and everything was burning red. In front of us laid three corpses of werewolves, slaughtered with their heads hanging only by a small piece of skin. The entire area was covered with blood and we could see some more corpses scattered around the house. The gruesome sight in front of us made my stomach churn.

I pinched my nose at the odour. Everyone had paled expression on their faces. We could see blood oozing out of the freshly slit throats covering the ground.

What the fuck is happening? — Ron mind-linked me.

I have no idea. — I replied.

"They were our patrol guards." Drake gasped pointing at the three corpses that laid in front of us. We were standing outside their 'secret base', watching it burn down in front of us.

"We could smell blood!" Some of their pack members came running to us. They brought along necessary equipment to keep the fire from spreading.

"Is the packhouse under attack?" Jace quickly asked.

"No, everything is normal there. We just sensed a foul stench and came to check." They said trying to subdue the flames.

"So it's just this particular area?" Drake questioned.

"Yes." One of them replied.

"Interesting," Jace mumbled. We all looked at him. Neil nodded his head.

"Interesting indeed." Neil agreed along.

"We should all get back to the packhouse and then think about our next move." James took the lead and announced.

It didn't take much time for us to reach the packhouse. James called an urgent meeting with his pack warriors. He asked us to be a part of it but Neil declined. After many persistent requests, Neil gave in and agreed to listen to whatever James had to say.

"So, I am afraid that was a message." James started as everyone took their respective seats.

"I think the abandoned wolves were aware that we were having a discussion in that particular house," Ron added from his seat. Everyone looked at him for a second.

"There is a possibility." Drake nodded. "The timing of that fire seemed rather concocted."

"Let's not forget the death of our patrol guards."

The members from the Red blood pack shifted uncomfortably while seated. They were waiting for Neil to give his final decision.

"I think my members and I should get back home." Everyone looked at Neil as soon as those words left his mouth.

"Please don't." Drake pleaded. "We are in grave danger. We require your assistance to overcome this situation."

Feels like a lot is going to happen here. — Ron mind linked.

What makes you think so? — I asked.

Judging at how they just burnt the area where we were and not the entire pack, I feel it was just a message.

What kind of a message? — I asked.

Oh come on Alina, how am I supposed to know that? — Ron snorted through the mind-link. I just feel it's going to be a different case here.

You think? — I heard Neil ask. He was listening in on our mind-linked conversation.

Yes. Staying here would help us look into the situation better. — Ron responded. Technically it will benefit us as long as we keep ourselves alive and unharmed.

I understand what you are saying but without us our pack is vulnerable. Even Luke is not around. — I stated.

Don't worry about that Alina. I have it figured out. — Neil said. He looked at me from his seat and smiled.

Does that mean we are staying? — I asked.

They didn't reply. They laughed and went silent.

"Alright then, Beta Drake," Neil said out loud. "We will assist you with ideas. However, our members who are present in this pack will not fight as you please. Only when they need to protect themselves."

The room went silent again. There was a long pause as Drake and James mind-linked each other.

"We agree." Jace nodded.

"For the time being it would be better if you increase your border patrol," Ron suggested. "It will work, as long as—"

"—As long as?" Drake frowned.

"As long as there are no traitors inside your pack."

"I doubt the possibility of that." Drake waved his hands in front of us, signalling a no.

"That's completely on how you take it." Ron smiled. "I am amused to see how only the area where we all were discussing earlier got burnt. A great coincidence."

Ron had a sarcastic smile on his face. Drake did not reply. He sat there quietly.

"I don't feel they'll just burn the pack as they did with all the previous packs," Neil affirmed.

"What makes you think so?" James asked, slightly tilting his head to the side.

"Because if we analyse all the previous attacks, everything went down before the break of dawn. They never just burnt a specific house or area and let the entire pack off unharmed."

"I understand. We still need to find out the reason behind this chaos." James grunted.

"I'd recommend staying alive first."

James looked at me for a second and then looked away.

I internally groaned. He still reeked of her.

Why do you always end up hurting me? Why do you make me feel like I am not enough? Why do you make me love you and then stress about how it means nothing to you? — I thought. I could feel the pain in my heart return as I looked at him. He was talking to Neil and not once looked at me.

"Alpha James!" A pack member came running towards us. He panted a little, before gasping for air.

"What happened?" Drake shot up from his chair.

"The two abandoned wolves somehow managed to escape from the cell."

"What the fuck?" James growled. "How could they just escape? Where are the fucking guards?"

"We found the guards dead outside the cell, with their throats slit."

Jace got up from his chair and whispered something to James before walking out of the room.

There was an awkward silence. Everyone kept looking at each other, unaware of what to say next.

"So, who wants food?" James finally asked, trying to enliven the situation.

Author's Note:

Where did the abandoned wolves run away now!?

Who is your favourite character so far and why? Comment and let me know.

Don't forget to vote if you like this chapter.

Next update: Friday.

Till then-
Peace out.