Chapter 16

The anticipation of the Met Gala made the week simultaneously fly by and drag on. The excitement of the event made the work days feel slower than ever, but when faced with the task of everything I needed to get done to prepare, it seemed I didn't have nearly enough time. I really need to get an assistant.

With a five hour flight ahead of me, I close my eyes once I'm settles on the airplane with hopes of sleeping the entire way. I didn't get nearly enough of it this week between staying late to shoot, packing, hair and facial appointments, and extra workouts with Shaun. I've hardly had time to see Harry outside of work. Speaking of, he's already in New York, having left a day before me.

Our work dynamic has hardly changed since the night he showed up at my house. The only real difference is that now I hang out in his trailer during breaks instead of being alone. His comedic relief during the work day has been a lifesaver for me, helping me not feel so anxious. As I said, lots to do, not a lot of time.

Celeste and Safia had mixed reviews about hearing that Harry and I are together. When I explained the whole misunderstanding, Safia was ecstatic for me. She went on about how she called it the first day at the table read that I would like him, and that it was obvious to everyone on set that something was going on. However, if he pulls anything again she has threatened to ruin his life. Celeste is a little bit more skeptical about the situation, and I don't exactly blame her. She was possibly angrier than me when she saw the headlines about the dinner that shall be named, so it was hard for her to get over that. But Celeste only wants me to be happy, so as long as I trust him, she's okay with it.

My eyes open just before the plane touches the ground and I begin to gather my belongings, ready to get out of this mechanical tube. I quickly swipe on some lip gloss and run my fingers through my hair knowing there's a good chance I'll be photographed getting off the plane. I look somewhat presentable by the time the plane has come to a halt with the exception of my blonde waves which take a professional to tame.

Making my way to baggage claim I only get stopped three times which I count as a success. All were super polite so I didn't mind stopping to take a couple pictures. As I step out into the evening air I'm surprised by the chill that greats me. I wrap Harry's hoodie tighter around me. Even for May, New York is still cool and I find it abrasive after becoming so used to the LA heat. I climb into the car sent for me and give the driver Harry's address before texting him that I'm on my way.

When Harry found out that I didn't have my own apartment in New York he insisted that I stay with him even though Vogue would have paid for my hotel. I watch the buildings and hordes of people as we make our way through the city to his apartment. Even after so many trips here, New York never fails to amaze me. I've never been anywhere else that has made me feel so insignificant, but in a way that I find comforting. There are millions of people on Manhattan Island alone, and here I am just another body. It's a reminder of how much in my life is trivial. It's humbling.

When we pull up to the red brick building, Harry is already standing outside waiting for me. The streets of Tribeca are bustling, but nobody pays any mind to the popstar hanging out on the side of the road. I thank the driver as he hands me my suitcase from the trunk, but Harry immediately takes the bag from my hands.

He greets the doorman by name as we enter the ornate lobby; granite flooring, red velvet sofas, and crystal chandeliers. We head straight to the elevator and Harry presses the button taking us to the 34th floor.

"How was the flight?" he asks, shifting my suitcase to his other hand so he can wrap his free arm around me. I lean into his side and rest my head on his shoulder.

"Long, but I slept the whole way. You know those naps where you wake up super disoriented? That's how I feel right now," I rub my eyes like somehow it'll wake me up. I feel like I'm outside of my body in a way, and I know that means I just need more sleep. It's already 8pm in New York which means I can almost swing going to bed in the next hour. I'm used to getting hardly any sleep, but once I get a taste of it it's hard to go back until I feel completely rested.

The elevator reaches Harry's floor and he unlocks the door to the largest apartment I've ever seen. It's a modern two story with wood beams, white walls, and gray and black furnishings. It's so... Harry. "Nice place," I remark, walking deeper into the space. He sets down my suitcase and I walk over to him, wrapping my arms around his torso.

He wraps his arms around me in return and I bury my face into his shirt, breathing in his scent. I feel so exhausted, and even though it's only been two days since I saw him, I missed him. We stand like that in the middle of his living room for a solid minute before he starts to pull away. "Not yet," I tell him, squeezing him tighter.

"I love this rare display of affection but if I had to guess you're starved," he chuckles, but he makes no effort to move. "Now that you mention it, I haven't eaten anything since breakfast," I stand on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek before pulling away and walking towards his kitchen.

Harry cooks us dinner, and we sit at the island to eat. I can feel the food reviving me as each bite enters my mouth. "What do you want to do tonight?" Harry asks as he begins to clean up our plates.

"Can we just watch a movie or something? I don't think I have the energy to do anything else," I tell him honestly. I feel like I could fall asleep standing up. I walk over to where he's standing at the sink and wrap my arms around his waist, pressing the side of my face to his back.

"Sounds good to me. When do you have to be at the hotel tomorrow morning?" He asks. I place a soft kiss onto his back before splitting from him and hopping up so I'm sitting on the kitchen island. Everyone attending the Gala is put up in a hotel the day of the event to get ready. We all have time slots to walk the carpet, so we're picked up from the hotel accordingly to get to the event on time.

"Eight, so I'm thinking I have to leave here around seven-thirty in the morning," I roll my eyes at the early time, "what about you?"

"Not until noon, but I'll just come with you and hang out until I can check into my room. Is that okay?" He sounds unsure, like for some reason I would tell him no.

"That's perfect," I tell him honestly, a yawn escaping as I do so. He sets his hands on the counter on either side of my body and steals a quick kiss before pulling me to my feet. "Let's get you to bed, love. I'm pretty sure you're going to fall asleep on my counter."

I follow him up the steel stairs to his bedroom which is simple and modern like the rest of the house. A king sized bed sits in the middle and a large window overlooks the busy street, but it's surprisingly quiet. "Is it okay if I take a quick shower?" I ask him. I'm desperate to get the germs from traveling off of my body.

"You don't have to ask, Lilian. Make yourself at home," He leads me into the bathroom attached to his bedroom and sets out a fresh towel for me. He leaves once he double checks that I have everything I need and I step into the steaming shower. Once I'm scrubbed clean I wrap myself in the plush towel he gave me and reach for the clothes that Harry must have set out for me while I was in the shower. The sleep shorts are mine, but the gray t-shirt is one of his.

When I exit the foggy bathroom, Harry is already in bed and the lights are off, only a bedside lamp illuminating the room. He has the TV on and is flipping through channels when he notices me walking into the room. He pats the bed next to him and opens the covers for me to climb under. I lay my head on his chest, craning my neck to see the TV. I have my top leg hitched over his body, and my hand is tracing the swallow tattooed on his chest.

"Should we just search romantic comedies on Netflix and see what we find?" He asks, rubbing his hand up and down my back.

We end up settling on Under the Tuscan Sun, one of my favorites with Diane Lane, but I only make it through the first twenty minutes before my eyes become too heavy and I can't keep them open. Harry continues to rub my back and brush his fingers through my hair. Usually events like tomorrow's make me anxious and I can't sleep, but right now I feel completely relaxed, ready for the long day ahead of me.