Chapter 1

I can't help but stare at my manager in disbelief. There is no way that this can be happening. "Robbie you can't be serious," I stare a hole straight through him, hoping that this look is enough for him to change his mind.

"Okay first of all, you're not intimidating enough to stare at me like that to scare me into getting what you want," my face instantly drops and I sigh. I've been told I have a resting happy face, and that's something that has made holding my own in these situations even harder than it already is. Robbie continues, "second of all, this will do so much for your career. You can't afford to turn this one down."

"Robbie, you know I try not to be high maintenance, but I really can't stand to work with another popstar. There will be other roles," I argue, exasperated from this conversation. I know that at the end of the day whether I accept the role or not is my decision, but I also know that I'm going to lose this fight and end up signing the contract.

Robbie leans forward and sets his elbows on his desk. He's really not backing down. "Lil, I know that the last experience wasn't great. But I also know that Jesse has to be possibly the only person that you've met that you didn't get along with. This is your first opportunity to step into an adult role and with him as the male lead this movie is guaranteed to be a hit. It's only six months of filming and then every door will be open for you. Every girl is going to want to be you."

I sit in silence for a moment before responding so that he doesn't think I'm giving in so easily. He makes a lot of valid points. The pay is more than good, and this is my opportunity to play a different character, reach a different demographic. And six months is hardly any time at all by Hollywood standards. And the diva popstar doesn't have to be anything more than just another coworker.

"Fine. I'll do it," I concede. Robbie looks more than pleased. He stands from his desk and leads me to the door. "Your first table read will be a week from tomorrow. I'm glad you said yes, Lil. This will be great for you," he tells me. I hope to god that he's right and that this will all be worth it.

As I walk into my house it's completely silent, so I know Celeste must be studying. I quietly make my way to the kitchen to not disturb her, and instead find her pouring over books at the kitchen table, furiously writing notes. Her dark black hair is in a bun at the top of her head and she's still in her worn out pajamas. When she hears me open the refrigerator, she finally looks up at me and sets her pencil down. She slides the glasses off of her face and stretches tall. If I had to guess she's been sitting in that spot for hours.

"How was the meeting?" she asks me with a yawn, getting up to grab a bottle of water. "Well, I ended up signing the contract. The script was too good to pass up, and Safia is a supporting character and we haven't been able to work together in a couple years. But you're not going to believe who's playing the love interest," I tell her. As miserable as I am by the news, I know that Celeste will be ecstatic.

"Timothee Chalamet? Tom Holland?" she asks hopefully. I usually end up bringing co-stars around the house, and either one of those men walking through our front door would be making all of Celeste's dreams come true. "Harry Styles," I state matter of factly, fighting the urge to roll my eyes. I know I'm probably being dramatic about the whole situation, but I can't help it.

"LILIAN JEAN O'BRIEN!" Celeste shouts, "he is the sexiest man to walk this planet. Every girl on this earth is going to want to be you." Celeste is practically shaking with excitement. She stares into space, and I can tell that she's already daydreaming of meeting him. "That's what everyone keeps telling me," I mumble, already annoyed by the statement. If I had to guess this isn't going to be the last time I'm going to hear it either.

"Oh do not tell me that you're upset by this," Celeste rolls her brown eyes, and I can tell my attitude annoys her, "oh my god. You're thinking this is going to be another Jesse situation don't you?" She finally pieces it together and her tone softens, "Lily, just because one singer is an asshole doesn't mean the entire industry is that way. You're living proof of that. I know for a fact that there are some really unpleasant actors, but I think you're pretty tolerable," she teases. It does make me feel slightly better.