Chapter 6

HARRY'S POV:

The week was full of thirteen hour days, and under normal circumstances I would've been exhausted, but the idea of taking Lily out tonight has me wired. My idea is really simple, and I think she'll like simple, but I'm still nervous. What is this girl doing to me?

I told her I would be at her house at 5pm but I left a few minutes early unable to just sit in my empty house and wait. I sit in my car for a minute but I worry that she can see me and I don't want to look like a creep, so I head to the front door. I stand there for a minute before the door swings opens, Lilian looking somewhat frantic. I almost laugh at the sight. She always seems so put together.

"Come on in, I just have to grab a pair of shoes and I'll be back down," she waves me in while simultaneously fastening an earring. I shut the door behind me and wander in, not going further than the foyer. The entire downstairs is open, and from this spot I can see both the living room and part of the kitchen in front of me. There's a formal sitting room with a baby grand piano directly to my left, surrounded by shelves that reach the vaulted ceilings, completely stuffed with books.

The house is large in size, but it still feels cozy. All of the colors are light and warm; tans, whites, and gold, touches of green and yellow. The house feels so.... lived in. A lot of houses in this neighborhood feel too immaculate to be touched, like you need to shower before you enter and keep your hands to yourself before you damage something expensive. I didn't realize before but now I'm pretty sure my own house feels that way... But here there are several pairs of shoes stacked next to the door in the foyer, blankets are strewn across the couch, and there are stacks of mail on the kitchen island. There's a corner of the kitchen table covered in papers and books, which I'm guessing is where Celeste studies.

There are pictures hanging in frames on the foyer wall and I move to observe them. Pictures of Lilian much younger with a shorter Asian girl. She makes a lot of appearances, so maybe it's Celeste? Safia makes an appearance and some people who I assume are her family. There's also a framed picture of an animated egg? Barely visible it looks like the egg has a name... Gudetama? Who frames a picture of an egg and puts it in their house?

I hear footsteps thudding against the stairs and see Lily running down. Her blonde hair is billowing behind her in the softest waves. It looks thinner without the weight of the extensions. Her face is nearly bare, just a little bit of makeup to enhance her features. It's refreshing. Most girls pack the makeup on for dates, always prepared for a photo op. Lily hops off the last step and onto the landing, "sorry for running late, you ready?"

I'm tempted to ask about the egg but Lilian is already out the door on her way to my car. We talk about work for most of the drive. It's comfortable territory. It's also one of the only things she'll talk about openly without closing off. It's odd. Sometimes I'll get glimpses of her completely bright and open to the world, but it's like she shuts it down the second she notices herself doing it. I wish that she wouldn't.

While we drive down Pacific Coast Highway I peel my eyes from the road to glance at her. She has her head towards the window, staring longingly at the beach. I feel a weight lift off of my shoulders knowing that I made the right choice. I pull off the highway and turn towards the coast line, parking on the street near a private beach. I've never seen anyone else over here, and I hope tonight is the same way. I reach in the back seat to grab the small cooler and blanket before getting out of the car.

While I lead Lilian down the winding path, she finally speaks up, "how did you know I liked the beach?" Her eyes are the most lit up I've ever seen, not bothering to see where she's going, just staring straight towards the water. "Lucky guess?" I respond, unable to keep the smile off my face. She looks beautiful when she looks this happy.