PROLOGUE

5 years earlier

"I love you, James, but we both know it can't happen. The relationship can't work out."Lily said, determined not to betray any emotion, but James knew her more than that. He couldn't be deceived by the mask she put on. He saw her sadness and decided he'd use it to his advantage. He couldn't let Lily slip from his grasp. She was all he ever wanted in a woman.

"Lily, we're mature enough to..."James began.

"Yes, James, we're mature enough to know that this is reality and not Romeo and Juliet. My parents don't want me married to you and it's for good reason. When we're married, how will we get by? Not on love, of course. I need you to understand that my parents want a well to do man for me and they're right. I can't live my life in the slums. I need to stop thinking like a foolish teenage girl and start thinking with my head and not my heart."she cut in.

James loved Lily too much to take her words to heart because he knew he would get offended.

"Lily, you know that by next month, I would have finished at the academy, and I'll be starting my career. You also know that I am a self-made man. I can't make it as fast as my peers are, but that doesn't mean I won't make it. Please, Lily, bear with me. You are my world, and I can't imagine it without you."James pleaded.

He didn't understand the cause for Lily's sudden change in heart but he was aware that Monica, Lily's mother did not take to James anymore after finding out about his financial status but Lily had always supported him against her mother, she had always said she believed in James and that she knew he would eventually make it.

'Where is that faith now?'James desperately thought.

"You're going to have to make a world without Lily Plugger, James, because I can't be with you. I can't wait anymore, James. If you truly love me, then you'll want me to be comfortable, right? And since you can't provide that, allow someone who can, James. Please, I don't want to talk about this anymore, I've made my decision. It had to happen. Goodbye, James."she said and shut the door in his face.

Lily was not confident she made the right decision. She wanted to be with James, but her mom was right. She had to think about her future and not her present feelings. She would have to consider Paul Winfield's proposal.

Meanwhile, James decided in his heart that he would never again give his whole heart to someone. Lily Plugger had broken him beyond repair, but James didn't blame her, after all, if he had been successful, James would have had Lily in his arms and no one would have been able to take her away. Never again would James Anderson be called unsuccessful. That was one thing James was sure of.

Hey😊, I hope you enjoyed my story. If you did, please vote, comment, and tell a friend to tell a friend about my story. Oh, don't forget to follow too. I follow back. XOXO.
I know it's short, but I promise, it's just the prologue, and the chapters to come are going to be longer.