EIGHTEEN

Lily. I have no idea what happened with her. I wonder what the heck happened in less than 5 years to cause all of this. Why would she intentionally lay her life down for some cause? Was it a cause? What is it? What's going on? What else is hidden? How many people are involved? Involved in what? What is everything all about? What the heck is happening?

James' thoughts are a jumble as he drove back to work.  He couldn't get Lily off his mind. The video. Her words.

What was the point of all of it?

He needed to know what the heck happened, and he would go to any lengths to find out. He needed to know who killed Lily Plugger and why? What other secrets were buried with her? What did she know?

There was so much to unravel, and James was prepared.

Once he's back at the station, he and Charlotte will go straight to interrogate Jamie.

He will spill everything he knew about Lily and why he killed her. James would make sure of it.

.

.

"Hey. You good?" Charlotte asked as James walked into the station.

"Yeah. It was just a wave. Thanks," James responded.

When they got to the room Jamie was held in, James and Charlotte stood outside watching him.

James spoke up first, "Have you spoken to him?"

"No, I was waiting for you."

James said nothing, and they watched him in silence for a few seconds before making their way in.

"Jamie Gerard," Charlotte began, "no past criminal record. No violations. No shady documents. How did a man like you who I believe led a normal life turn out to be a killer?"

"I am not a killer." He responded curtly.

"How can you lie like that when we have proof? Video evidence?" Charlotte asked.

"Where's your proof?" He asked, still unfazed.

Charlotte brought out her phone and showed him the clip of him stabbing Lily to death. He showed no form of emotion or expression on his face. His face was a mask.

"That must have been tampered with," He said after watching the video and sat back comfortably as if he wasn't in trouble, "That's not real."

He looked so confident and unmoved that anyone would have believed him if they hadn't seen the proof and if they weren't trained officers like James and Charlotte were.

"Tampered with? This is raw footage. It's been scrutinised for any form of tampering, and it's come back clean. Why would anyone set you up anyway?" Charlotte shot back at him.

"Obviously, you guys are the ones setting me up. You've failed to find your culprit, and I'm your scapegoat." He said and leaned forward, "Look, my lawyer will be here soon, and it'll be proved that I'm being set up. End of story."

Charlotte could not believe what she was hearing. She had seen many criminals spin stories to cover their tracks. But she was yet to meet one who was not only confident they'd been vindicated after being caught red-handed. He was also blaming the cops.

Did he plan to sue the force?

The entire situation was ridiculous.

"That's okay," James spoke for the first time since they'd entered the room, "We'll take the case to court straight. With all the evidence we have, I'm certain we'll win. See you in court."

Jamie smirked and waved at them mockingly as they made their way out of the room.

Once they were out of the room, Charlotte looked worriedly at James and asked, "Are you sure we'll win the case with the evidence we have?"

"It's live footage. We should win," James paused for a while, then continued, " provided any ridiculous trash doesn't come up."

"His lawyer is here," Charlotte said to James as a man in a suit passed by them and went to speak with Jamie.

Jamie's POV

"What took you so long? Those lunatics were already hassling me. I barely talked my way out of it." Jamie said to the lawyer HE sent to represent Jamie in court.

"I heard there's a footage. Is that true?" The lawyer asked, clearly not in the mood to deal with Jamie's complaints.

"Yes. They showed it to me. I think the lady had a camera of some sort in the house. There was never any sort of surveillance there before. I don't know when she got that done." Jamie responded.

"That sounds like a terrible overlook on your part. You've made things a little tricky, and you'll have to bear the consequences. " The lawyer said coldly.

For the first time since he'd been arrested, Jamie lost his composure.

"Wh-what do you mean?"

"A Live footage cannot be disputed in court. You should have double-checked." The lawyer responded shortly.

"Okay. My mistake agreed. But what can I do now? I'm not gonna go to prison, am I?"

"You are. But HE will ensure you're comfortable. That's the best HE can guarantee you right now. HE will definitely try his best to make sure you're released earlier, but for now, there's nothing HE can do."

"Th-that wasn't the deal. H-he can't do this. Th-that wasn't the deal." Jamie stammered desperately.

"There's nothing we can do for now. Confess to the crime. Keep HIM out of it. You will be settled and compensated later. Even though it's your fault, the boss will still ensure you are treated right."

Jamie was dumbfounded. He had nothing to say. It was clear he had no choice in the matter. He was so sure he'd be free, and it would all be wiped clean off his slate.

Why did he blindly trust HIM?

What was the next step now? What could he do to get himself out of this mess?

The truth was that he knew that the moment he got to prison. HE would have him done away with. Jamie would be considered a loose end to HIM and would be disposed of.

Jamie had to find a way out of this.

Thank you for sticking with me. Love you all.

Tag for the chapter:  -DeeIsDead-