EIGHTEEN (Part II)

Jamie's POV

"I spoke to my lawyer," Jamie said as nonchalantly as he could, "I'm ready to speak if I'm granted immunity."

Charlotte scoffed.

"Nobody's giving you immunity, big boy. When you want to talk, let us know," James said and began to make his way outside.

"That's because you think the death of Lily Plugger is the first of its kind," Jamie responded with a smirk.

"I don't know much about the police force" he continued, " but I'm pretty sure you get more than a pat on the back and some cookies when you are able to solve more than a hundred cases at once and bring down some of the worst tyrants in the country."

He smirked for effect and then lowered his voice to whisper, "Tyrants at the helm of power. "

"What do you mean?" Charlotte asked.

"I'll tell you what I mean after I've signed those papers," Jamie responded with a look of victory.

"Look, genius, we're not just going to sign an immunity deal with someone who claims they have knowledge about something we know nothing about. So it's better you give us something that could help convince us or forget it. You're going to jail for 1st-degree murder." James shot back.

"The Dennis Twins. The Hasburys. Lillian Rick. Kelly Mccarthy. Should I go on?" Jamie said, looking straight at James

"You just mentioned statewide cases that everyone knows about. What should that mean to us?" James replied.

"What that means is I know who did them. When I'm granted immunity, I will lead you to the man who has the list of everyone and every case that's gone cold. I won't say anything till I see papers in front of me again."

.

.

"What do you think?" Charlotte asked James.

"I hate the fact that our names are similar. " James replied, looking irritated at that fact.

"Um. Okay? I actually meant his request for immunity and all of that."

"Definitely not. He committed first-degree murder. He's going to jail."

"But what about the information he has?"

"We could get it out of him through other ways. He's clearly desperate. His lawyer left the room, and lawyers don't do that. It's clear that those who hired him left him to take the fall. He's aware of that, so he's trying to use us as his way out. Since we're aware of that, we will also negotiate our terms. Not immunity, reduced terms. And only by half."

"Okay, let's see how that goes," Charlotte responded. She was impressed by how his mind worked, she admitted.

However, she worried if he acted like this towards all the cases he was put on. Or if the extra fire in his eyes was just because it was about the woman he loved.

.

.

"He's asking for immunity and --" Charlotte could barely get the words out before her dad disagreed.

"Absolutely not. It's first-degree murder. He's going to jail, "Officer Hutchinson, Charlotte's dad cut in.

"Sir, we do not plan on giving in to his request for immunity. However, considering the information he claims he has, we want to offer him a reduced sentence. If the information he provides is not legit, we withdraw the offer." James responded.

"And how are you sure he'll accept your offer of reduced sentence?" Officer Hutchinson asked.

"He's backed against the wall. He has no other option. It's either that or a full sentence where he'll indefinitely be murdered in prison. He knows that. So if we offer him a reduced sentence and protection in prison. He'll talk."

.

.

"Reduced sentence to 20 years is all we can offer. " James said as he walked into the interrogation room and slammed the files on the table before sitting down and crossing his arms.

He didn't know why he did that. Maybe because after all this time, he still felt the need to be as dramatic as the cops he saw on tv as a child. Or because he knew he was going to break through to Jamie.

"And why would I take such a ridiculous offer."

"Because if you don't, you will go to jail for 1st-degree murder," Charlotte said from where she leaned on the wall.

"Look, let's cut the BS. Here's what happened. You were hired to murder Lily Plugger with the promise that you won't go to jail. The video feed came up, which you didn't expect. Those who hired you realised you couldn't be defended again. They told you to plead guilty and that you will be well compensated. But you know that you will be murdered the moment you step foot in prison." James said calmly, then paused for effect.

As James expected, Jamie's confident smile began to falter.

"So what will it be because either way. We're good." James said and leaned back into the chair calmly because he knew he had won already.

"How am I sure that my safety is assured?"

"We have a grey area," Charlotte started, "we call it the safe zone. We put criminals who cut a deal with us, and we know are at high risk of being murdered there. It has a 100% success rate because it doesn't exist. So, as long as you shut up and ensure no one finds out about the deal we just cut with you. You'll be safe."

James was so angry at the fact that they were trying to protect a criminal who was a murderer from being murdered. But that was life and law. It's part of what he stood for by being a cop.

"He came to me about a year ago. First of all, he asked me to just spy on her and find out what she did. Who she spoke with and stuff like that. And I did. He gave me about 500 grand each month just for doing that," Jamie started, " Then, about 3 months ago, he told me he needed her gone. At first, I refused. Then he offered me 2 million, and I couldn't resist. He told me it would be quick, and I would never be found. Then he mentioned those cases and how the police still hadn't found the killers and that he was responsible for that. So I trusted him."

"What's his name?" James asked.

"I didn't know his name. I only knew that he was referred to as Talon."

"Anything else?" Charlotte said.

"The only thing I knew, which was because he mentioned it once by mistake, I believe, was that he was Lily's ex."

Immediately, Charlotte pulled her gun on James.

Cover by:meha-k