Chapter 16

ALEXANDRA HENRIETTE

After he happened, I was not sure that I would be open to giving chances this soon. Well, things do happen unexpectedly.

I mean, after that phone call and the little confrontations here and there, I actually realized it might not be a bad idea to give Jared a chance, hopefully.

~~

A month has passed since Jared's unexpected show and it's been 2 weeks since he started courting me, officially. Yup, I gave him a chance. A genuine chance.

"Alexa, are you really sure? About you know." Vivianne asked, pertaining to Jared's courting. *sigh* She's been asking me that question ever since I broke the news to them that I let Jared court me.

"Why? What's wrong with it?" I asked her. Gusto ko lang malaman directly from them why they kept discouraging me or something similar, I guess.

"Are you sure you're not rushing up things too much? You're not forcing yourself, right?"

"Look, I know you're worried for me. But trust me on this. I know what I'm doing. I genuinely want to give this, him, a chance. Besides, I'm confident when I told you that I've moved on, promise." I told them, hoping that they'd drop this topic already.

Hopefully, sa pagpapaliwanag kong yun ay makahinga sila ng maluwag. Iba pa man din sila mag-alala. Well, ganyan naman kami sa lahat ng ka-grupo at mga taong malalapit sa amin.

"Fine. I give up! But promise us, the Phoenix, if something went wrong, you'd tell us. No matter how small it is, up to the tiniest detail. Okay?" Austin pleaded. Austin is the protective kuya of the group. He's very protective, stubbornly protective. That's our Austin.

"Opo, kuya." Mapang-asar kong sagot sa kanya na nginitian niya pabalik.

Oh, yeah. We're actually on our way to a bar called 'Kirai O Tsubusu'. It will be my birthday on Tuesday na kasi and since it's a weekday, we decided to celebrate it earlier para mas enjoy.

~~

Napakalakas na tugtugin at matinding amoy ng alak ang sumalubong sa amin. People are in the dance floor dancing crazily like there's no tomorrow. You can even see some making out by the dark side of the bar. What do you expect, Alexa? People playing jackstones in a bar?

May available na tables din sa second floor, kung saan namin napiling pumwesto. Kita pa rin naman namin ang dance floor mula dito. We just preferred this spot para mas private kahit papaano.

Let get this party started!!!

JARED ASHTON

It's Saturday, and it will be Xandra's birthday soon. It'll be on Tuesday. Yup, that soon and I haven't decided on what can I do or give her for her birthday.

*sigh* I just wanted to do something memorable for her. I don't care if she can't remember me for the time being. What I'm focused on doing right this moment is for her to fully open up to me and, you know. Basta yun na yun.

Habang nakatambay dito sa bahay, I can't help but to look back at what happened a month ago.

Flashback...

"Did you like it?" Kabadong tanong ko kay Xandra nang makababa ako as soon as our performance finished.

Moments later, I still hadn't got any reaction from Xandra. She just kept on looking at me straight in the eye, void of any emotion.

"You didn't like it, huh?" Napa-kamot ng batok na sabi ko. A short awkward silence surrounded the both of us until she spoke.

"Porque hindi sumagot, hindi na nagustuhan? Advance ka din mag-isip, 'no?"

Oo nga naman kasi, eh dapat kasi nag—teka! Did I hear it right? Ibig sabihin, nagustuhan niya?!

"Meaning, you liked it?" I asked her, confirming my conclusion.

"Yeah." She answered, shrugging her shoulders. I smiled.

"Here." I simply said as I gave her the box that I kept near the stage and got it when I went down. I hope she'll like it.

It's a simple gift. From me to her.

... End of Flashback

That box I gave her that day contained a necklace with an infinity symbol as its pendant and as its back was engrave J & A, Xandra's initial and mine.

I can see a hint of fear in her eyes whenever I playfully asks her when will she give me her 'yes', but I know that I'm getting there. I'm willing to wait.

"Sinagot ka na ba pre?" Napalingon ako sa pinanggalingan ng boses. It's Luke na mapang-asar na nakatingin sa akin.

"Shut up." Sabi ko na lang. Every time that he'll ask me that, he and Kyle would annoy me nonstop. Natatawa naman silang napailing, buti naman at nanahimik sila ngayon.

"Do you really love her?" I looked at Cody. 'Di mo makikitaan ng kahit na anong emosyon ang mukha niya. There really are times that I'm scared of Cody's seriousness.

"What makes you think that I don't? Since we were kids, you all know what I feel for her. Just because a lot of times had passed, doesn't mean it would change. You've been with me all the time, why doubt me now?" I said, matching his seriousness.

"Just making sure. A little advice, give her time. She' been through a lot, and I mean a lot. Don't pressure her."

"I know. I may not know what exactly happened, for now. I've waited this long, what's a few more."

"Good."

"Woah, woah. Kailan ka pa naging tatay ni Alexa, ha Cody?" Pabirong tanong ni Kyle kay Cody, but Cody just gave him a glare.

"Chill, I'm just trying to lighten up the mood. You're both being too serious. Tsk. Where are we? In the Supreme Court?" Depensa ni Kyle na napapailing.

"Manahimik ka na bro." Pag-awat ni Luke kay Kyle. Natawa na lang din kami nang magrambulan silang dalawa. Hay buhay, parang life.