7 A VISITOR

Song for this chapter- Dead Right Now by Lil Nas X

***
KHARISE

"It can't be that bad

"It can't be that bad. "
Layla tries to pull me out of the daze I'm stuck in as the bell rings signifying the end of the last class for the day.

"He's in the 80% of my classes, Layla. It is worse than bad. "
I tell her, still trying to bring myself to face the reality. I'm so fucking pissed right now I feel like I'm going to fucking explode.
What the fuck is Jay doing in Seattle?

He said he was never coming back, why is he here?

And for fuck's sake, why's he in almost all of my classes?

What did I do to deserve this???

Universe!!! What are you trying to tell me?! 'Cause if it's murder, I'm down.

"Just relax, I'm sure everything will turn out just fine."
Layla side-hugs me, resting her head on my shoulder as I adjust the strap of my backpack on the other shoulder.

"I know what will cheer you up. Ice cream! "
She chirps in an attempt to get me smiling. And as much as I want it to, even ice cream can't soothe this problem.

"Actually I think I'll just head home right now, I need to blow off some steam. "
I close my eyes, taking deep breaths.

"Alright fine. "
Layla sighs, taking my depressed figure in her arms.
"I'll see you tomorrow then. "
She pulls away, giving me a reassuring smile, before skipping away.

Yes, you heard me right.
She skipped away.

I take out my phone and scroll through my contacts, click on Yana and begin walking down the path while waiting for her to pick up.

"Hey hey hey! Khar! What's up, what's up, b? "
Her overly cheery voice sounds through the phone. I let out a sigh, trying to contain the toxic sarcasm about to spew at her from my mouth.

"Hey, can you tell Ricky that I'm sick and I won't be able to show up for work today? "
I stroll over to the statue in front of the school and sit on the pavement, crossing my legs.

"Okay I will. But I know you're not sick."

"How the fuck do you know that?"
"Because you're Kharise. Even if you were sick, you would never admit it. So tell me, what's going on? "
I sigh.

She is right though. I hate being sick, but not as much as I hate pity because of it.
I pick at the fabric of my jeans, contemplating whether or not to tell her about Jay.

Yana has always been a good friend to me, but I'm not really up for getting all gushy and emotional right now.
"I don't wanna talk about it. "

"Okay, but just in case you need someone to talk to... I'm only one call away, and I'll be there to-"