26 MIRRORS

Song for this chapter- That's what I want  by Lil Nas X

"Hello whoever you are. So sorry I can't take your call at the moment. It's either I'm really busy or I just really don't want to talk to you. Take your pick. If it's the former, I'll get back to you when I can. Adios. Beep."

I listen to the message for the seventh time today and I give up putting it off my phone and throwing it in the passenger seat.

It's Saturday evening and Ced is out with Yana again. Those two have been all over each other all week. It's like Ced has finally found his soulmate. And frankly, it's kinda hard to be happy for him since I, on the other hand, am still pining over a girl who has made it clear that she doesn't want me. I put my foot down on the break and slowly bring the car to a halt.

I mean, she's made it crystal clear, so why is my heart still longing to fight for her?
I can't get her out of my mind. Why can't I get her out of my mind? The thought of her is always there, haunting the fuck out of me, and making want to take that guy she was kissing and run him over with my car.

A bit murderous, but you get the point.

Who am I kidding?
She must really like him. Apparently enough for her to be ignoring all my texts.

I open the door of my car and get out, closing it behind me.
I walk through Range's revolving doors, and check in at the reception. After a few seconds in the elevator, I get to the recording studio and swipe my card in the access slot. The door clicks open.

Well I'm not the only one who comes to work on a Saturday night. Because inside that booth is the very girl that has been on my mind the entire week. Our eyes meet and she stumbles on her words slightly, before picking back up like nothing just happened. Wow.

There's something different about her music today though. There is an impossible flood of emotion pouring through it, but the most evident is pain. Lots of it. Raw and uncensored. Something is definitely off.

"I never knew that love could hurt so much
That I could not go long without your touch
Now don't you remember the nights that we stumbled in your bedroom
Turns out those nights were the start of our doom and-"

She stops, waving at Brent to pause the recording. He hits a button and all sound in the room ceases. She subtly holds on to the panel of the booth for a little over two seconds, eyes shut tightly, then takes off the headphones and places them on a stand before stepping out of the booth.
"I need a drink."
She mumbles, heading towards the door.

I barely realise when I move faster than lightning and grab her arm.
She glares at me, but instead of fussing over it, I notice its emptiness. Its lack of spirit. Something is definitely wrong.

"I'll go with you."
I take her by the arm out of the room and close the door. I halt in my steps, turning to face her.
As pissed off as I am towards her, I'm suddenly aware of our proximity. But I don't move. And neither does she.