XLV

He lifted his masked chin and scanned the room.

"She's in here"

------

Every ounce of pride in my body leaked pathetically into the tense air, brittle enough to shatter into a thousand deadly pieces.

His disgusting, mechanical voice hammered in my ear, rattling my chest, grinding against my heart.

"Come out little pet," he cooed sickeningly. Beckoning me forward like I was a lost dog. I cowered further down the crate.

"Meet your maker." he sung, I felt a tickle at my fingertips. It was only when I looked down I saw Poe's hand itching towards mine.

I looked down at his shivering fingers curling around my palm. They were clamy and sticky with fear of the unknown.

Our hands were interlocked in a strange union; one of understanding of our fates and the other of hope- which was too good to be true.

I never liked fate.

It was a cruel joke to me, a lie, a false dream.

Then again, maybe fate is real? My whole life, every single choice I made has led up to this moment and only now could I choose what happens:

Give myself in or let everyone die?

Reluctantly, I slipped my hand out of Poe's and searched for his eyes. One final look wouldn't hurt. One final look in those muddy hue eyes.

A shuddery breath escaped from my lips.

Poe's shadowed face was twisted into a sorrowful frown. He bit the inside of his cheek as we met eyes.

I took a mental note of his face, sucking in every inch of it. The tight dirt coloured curls. The brown speckled eyes. Half grown stubble. Tan, scarred skin.

"You have a choice" he whispered, barely audible. His voice was shaky and cracking, he reached out for my hand again and I put it down on the floor and shook my head.

"I know- I've made my choice" a final smile curved my lips and reached my eyes which were now threatening to leak.

And they did.

A single tear traced down my cheek and rested on my lip. The salty reminiscence of my sacrifice lay on my cut lips which were still curled in a warm smile.

"Skye"

I flapped my eyelids open and Poe's eyes were gleaming with remorse.

"Yeah" I hummed.

"I'm sorry"

I huffed- this man and his sorries! My hand was still on top of his on the floor so I rubbed my thumb across his dry skin.

"For what?"

"For being a dick when we first met" he looked down at our overlapped hands and sighed. I shook my head and whispered back.

"It's okay I-"

Something yanked me upwards and through me across the floor unwillingly. A grasping pain in my rib made me roll to the side and clutch my waist.