Even stars burn out

Start from the beginning

Pyrrha: You're serious?

Ozpin: Do I look like I'm joking?

Pyrrha: ... No. Why... why are you telling me this?

Ozpin: We are telling you this, Pyrrha Nikos, because we believe that you are next in line to receive the Fall Maiden's powers.

Pyrrha: "We"?

At that moment, the elevator doors open, and she sees Professor Glynda and General Ironwood step out.

(Author note: Play this while Reading)

Ironwood: Sorry we're late.

Pyrrha: Wait, what is this? Who are you?

Goodwitch: You know who we are. We're still the same teachers and Headmasters you met when you arrived at Beacon.

Qrow: 'Cept we've got a little part-time job.

Ironwood: We are the protectors of this world.

Ozpin: And we need your help.

Pyrrha is shocked into silence as everyone in the room looks to her.

Cut to Pyrrha, looking nervous, in the elevator with the group of "protectors". She looks at Ozpin and Glynda as if seeing them for the first time while a steady beeping signals each floor passed.

Pyrrha: Where are we going?

Ozpin: The vault. Under the school.

The elevator continues downward through the vertical tunnel of dark green lights until it opens its doors and their passengers step out, with Pyrrha being the last to leave as she absorbs the sight of the large hallway.

Goodwitch: I'm sure you must have questions.

Pyrrha: Maybe one, or two... I still don't understand. You said I was next in line to receive the Maiden's power. What do you mean by that?

Goodwitch: The Maidens have existed for thousands of years. But much like in nature, the seasons change. No two summers are alike. When a Maiden dies, her power leaves her body and seeks out a new host, ensuring that the seasons are never lost, and that no individual can hold on to that power forever.

Pyrrha: So, how does the power choose?

Qrow: Through a series of stupid and convoluted rules.

Goodwitch: Qrow.

Qrow: Hey, don't get mad 'cause I'm right.

Goodwitch: At first, the only thing that was certain was that the powers were specifically passed on to young women. But as time went on, it was discovered that the selection process was much more... intimate.

Pyrrha:... Intimate?

Goodwitch: As we understand it now, when a Maiden dies, the one who is in her final thoughts is the first candidate to inherit her power.