Bad Wishing

Jake and I had had the responsibility of bringing out Michelle’s birthday cake, I tried forcing the duty entirely onto Jake, him being her brother, but he told me no as he felt so angry at her he would probably tip it over her head.  I couldn’t argue with that so together we brought out her cake. Lucky, I thought looking at her cake; my parents would never be able to afford a cake from Rochelle’s Boulangerie. The cake was specially designed, costed £90 and was exactly what Michelle had dreamed of, the intricacy of the hand iced layers that caressed the chocolate sponge(her favourite type of cake), were so perfect I struggled to imagine how hard it would be for Michelle to destroy such a work of art. I felt so proud of myself for having this cake ordered; I had been given £100, from Michelle’s parents, to buy this cake.  I knew it was what she wanted because I saw Michelle sketching a picture of the cake one day, so I knew that this was her ideal cake, obviously I’d asked her about it and why she was drawing it to find out and that is how I knew what her ideal cake was.

Michelle attempted to blow out her candles at the end of her happy birthday song but failed. We had decided on the candles that keep on relighting themselves for a laugh, unfortunately Michelle didn’t find the funny side of them. On her sixth attempt at blowing the candles out she inhaled deeper than I thought possible, before sending a mini spiral of wind that blew the candles out completely.

“Have you made a wish?” Michelle’s great aunt Meredith inquired.

With a hint of malice in her eyes and sarcasm in her voice Michelle replied,” of course Aunt Meredith.” A while later, around 1am, at the end of the most exhilarating night we all trecked of to our homes. 

I thanked mr and mrs Cohen for a wonderful evening whilst walking across the lawn to my house, half yawning as I said it. Struggling to get the key into the door in the dark I heard a noise, quite mysterious yet really creepy too, I managed to find the lock while wondering what the noise was. My parents were asleep I found out when I got home, I hardly blamed them they didn’t exactly act young anymore thought they were only in their early 40’s and it was half one in the morning too. Too tired to change into my pyjamas I just poured myself into bed as I was, I didn’t even brush my teeth. I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow I was exhausted.