chapter thirty

We arrived at the armory, a bunch of other Fae there as well, shoving the different equipment pieces over their head. My breath was soft as I grabbed my own protective gear, strapping on my knife, my bow, and a sword.

For the main part, I would be using my magic to fight, but if it came to close quarters, I would need more than my bare hands and dodging skills. Gabriel stood beside, his black and gold armor on him as he watched the other Faeries prepare themselves for battle.

"Is everyone ready to defend our castle and the innocents living within?" Gabriel asked. Everyone, myself included, nodded with determination.

"We are."

"We can do this."

"Why would the Dawn court attack us?"

"Dawn Faeries..."

The Fae in the room spoke softly, but strength was behind their words and mixed into their voices. Gabriel gently grabbed my hand, giving my fingers a gentle and encouraging squeeze.

"Let's go!" Gabriel rallied. The other Fae cheered their agreement before we rushed out of the armory.

I could hear the ahead commotion, the screeches of fear and pain, the clank of swords and armor. I shuddered slightly, following the others out of the castle. My mismatched eyes widened at what I saw.

Blood spilled onto the charred grass, different types of magic flashing through the air. Those of the Dawn court were winning against the castle's first line of defense. I ground my teeth together, fingers curling into fists.

"The queen and king have finally joined the battle!" A Dawn fae shouted, a cackle following his words. "Dawn Court, attack!" He shouted.

The only thing I could think of for the reason the Dawn court was attacking was me. Marcy had previously wanted to kill me. Now that my children were born, I had no doubts she would want them dead too.

She wouldn't be getting to my children, no one would. Not if I had a say in the matter. I growled low in my throat, taking a few steps forward, my mismatched eyes gazing across the battlefield. I assessed who need my help, grounding my feet into the grass. I closed my eyes for just a moment, holding my palms upwards.

Fire curled from my fingertips, two small balls forming and slowly growing in my hands. I narrowed my eyes, taking a step forward and pushing my arms forcefully towards my targets as if throwing a regular ball.

The fire stayed ablaze as it shot through the air, landing right where I had aimed. The face of a faery fighting against my warriors. He screamed loudly, crying out as he collapsed to his knees. I kept the fire burning, curling my fingers so it trailed across his skin, slipping into his armor and catching his clothes. It was a bit brutal, but I was done holding back.

I tugged out my sword, my palms slick with sweat from the heat of the flames I used, sliding against the leather grip. I tightened my fingers, nodding to the fae lined up behind me. I help up my sword dramatically, signaling them all to head into battle. Their charge was echoed with a booming cry.

We would win!

I lunged towards the closest dawn court fae, my sword clinking against theirs. Then my fire climbed up my blades, swirling down to her palm, burning her dark-colored skin. She gasped in pain, dropping her sword to the ground with a loud thud.

Suddenly, all I could see were flames. My magic pooling over the edge of my seemingly unlimited well, uncontrolled. My breath caught in my throat, flames flying out my from fingertips, shooting aimlessly across the battlefield. I wouldn't let it hurt my subject, my sharp teeth clenching together.

I managed to slow the flow of power, but I couldn't stop the grass from charging beneath the lick of flames. Only my enemies felt any pain, their skin shriveling up and dissolving into ash. My terror was interrupted by a loud shout, magic pushed behind the words. It was Marcy. Another growl slipped past my lips.

"Marcy," I snarled out, my magic faded, most of her warriors wailing on the grass. I had killed, but their deaths were worth the life of my children, my mate, and my kingdom. She smirked at me.

"I said I would be back," She purred, her form creeping across the ashes of her subjects. My fingers curled into fists.

"Yeah, you're back, but you won't be hurting anyone," I replied, my wings sliding out from my back.

"You're right, you're the only one that will be hurting people. Although, I plan to hurt you," She said easily, her hands sliding into the pockets of her pants. She wasn't even wearing armor. "Look around, Yuki. You've burnt some of your soldiers, killed multiple of mine. You're a murderer," She taunted.

My blue and amber eyes scanned the battlefield. My subjects. My people were nursing their wounds that had come from me. I bit the inside of my cheek. Then I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. Gabriel. 

"Yuki helped us. She can't defeat us all. We have won, even at the cost of our people's injuries. You didn't kill any of the hours," He told me, his deep voice whispered against my ear, giving my encouragement. I nodded slowly, leaning slightly into him and taking a deep breath.

"Yes, queen Yuki, I don't mind the burns!"

"You can win the battle, what's a small burn?"

"It doesn't even hurt that badly!"

All of them were encouraging me, even though I hurt them. I steeled myself, standing up correctly and adjusting the grip I held on my sword. They were right. I could do this, repay their pain for Marcy's death.

"Thank you," I whispered, then I lunged forward, a flick of my wings sending me running faster than without the boost. I held one side of my blade, careful not to cut my palms on the blade, even if I deserved the blood.

When I felt the blade reach her neck, I kicked her legs from beneath her pinning her down with my knees, the point of my sword aimed to her neck, my flame prepared for my command.

"Why are you here? There is no need to battle," I hissed, pressing the blade closer to her pale skin. She giggled.

"A prophecy. A child of the owl faery will destroy the court of dawn. I thought I would come here and kill her before it happened," Marcy told me,  a smirk still tugging at her chapped lips. I growled.

"She won't have a chance if I do it first," I retorted. Then I pushed the sword into her throat. Her eyes rolled back into her head, blood bubbling out of the corner of her mouth. I stood up, taking a few steps back before I faced my warriors.

"It is done!" I announced. They cheered.

"The only thing we can do is host another party, right?" Gabriel asked, planting a kiss on my cheek and sliding his arm around my waist, holding me close. I nodded, a light-hearted laugh leaving my lips.

"Sounds like a plan."