chapter one

I stared at the dusty window sill, my finger beating into the wood in a rhythm. My fingerprint was stamped into the dust, my eyes strayed to the window, focusing on the forest.

Were other villages sick with this death plague? Were other people dying? I was the only one in my small town that was immune to it, the only one that did not have to suffer sickness.

I ran a hand through my thick dirty-blond hair that reached my waist. I had 5 family members, my little brother was the only one still alive.

I sighed, wiping my eyes which had welled with tears. If only he was immune too. I stood up, walking over to the piles of blanket in front of an open window. Toby lay atop the bundle, cool, winter air blowing on his sweaty face.

My heart sunk when he looked towards me. His eyes were sunken in, face pale as the snow, green around his lips. He could not eat otherwise he would throw it up again. If he slept, he would wake up in pain from moving around to much.

The plague made your bones weak. It dissolved all your insides painfully slowly until you died. It was horrible. When the body died, you had only a few seconds until everything was dissolved into nothinf.

I crawled over to him, dipping the rag on his head into a bucket of cool water with bit of snow. With a small sigh, I draped it over his head again.

I sat back on my heels, grabbing a book from the stack beside me. It was the legend of the Faeries.

"I-" my voice cracked as I opened the dirty yellowed pages. I cleared my throat, not allowing my tears to fall. Toby stared expectantly up at me, his small finger on my knee. "I love you. I will read you this story, okay?" I asked.

He did not respond. His fingers were limp on my knee, his once sparkling blue eyes dull. My throat bobbed as his chest stopped rising and falling. I let the tears in my eyes waterfall down my face.

His body was quickly dissolving, my tears falling onto his small face. Choked sobs made their way out of my trembling lips. One last story.

"O-once, long ago," I sniffled, my voice shaking as my body was racked with tears. "There were fae scattered across the world." I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment. When they opened, nothing was left of my dear little brother beside the diaper he had worn.

Something was laying on the floor though, a piece of paper. I set the book down, wiping my eyes as my crying stopped. I reached for the paper, my shaking finger grasping it. It was folded up, so a carefully pulled back the ends.

Deer shister,

I luv uo so mooch. I alway will.

Love,
Tobes

He wrote this. My body one again shook as I clutched the note harder. Tears of salt and water dripped into my lips, snot running from my nose. My baby brother.

I hugged the note to my chest as if it was him. That last of him. I would keep the paper forever, always.

"I love you too Tobes, I love you too," I mumbled through streams of water. Then, I sat there and cried, just like I had for my mother, for my father. For my eldest brother. And now for Toby.

I did not curse myself though. I was not one to blame myself and force myself to die with them. I would live on for them. I would live the happy life my mother had always wanted me too.

Flashback:

4 years ago, age 13

My mother tied a ribbon to the end of my braid, a smile on her face when my one blue eye one amber eye met hers. She patted my head, kissing the bridge of my nose.

"You would be a fine lady one day. When your older, your should hunt and be strong. The men are supposed to do the dirty work, but girl, I know you got more courage than any of them," she said. I nodded, giving her a determined smile.

"Okay mama."

3 year ago, age 14

My brother leaned against the dusty window sill, giving me a small smirk. He eyed my pants and vest, sighing a little.

"You know, I don't think dresses would suit you." He ruffled my long hair. I gave him a small smirk.

"They would suit you though," I snickered. He mock gasped, a hand dramatically to his heart.

"Oh, I know they would," he stuck his nose in the air playfully. "I look good in everything."

Present:

I would be strong. I would perfect my skills and prove to them that I could do what they had asked of. I stopped crying, standing up and wiping off my face.

I would travel the world, find people who were not sick. I would stand up for myself and help other people. I would take my family's strength, and use it as my own.

I grabbed a large pack from the ground, stuffing extra clothes and garments into it. I raided the kitchen, making sure to grab everything that would keep for a long time.

I grabbed a small locket from my jewelry box, sticking my brothers note inside with the sketch I drew of my family. I clipped it around my neck, kissing the golden heart carefully.

For mom.

For dad.

For brother Gage and Toby.

I carried the pack outside. We owned a horse and wagon for travels that my father did, her name was Chestnut. I walked across the snow which crunched beneath my boots, ignoring the chill on my bare arms.

I opened the door to the barn, smiling at the golden brown horse that matched my hair color. She trotted over, licking my face. I rubbed behind her ears, kissing her cheeks softly.

"I love you chessy, but we have to ride through the snow," I whispered. She sighed in understanding in, waiting while I saddled her and filled the saddle bags up with the items from my pack.

I went back into the house, one last time. I grabbed my cloak, pulling if over my shoulders and pulling up the hood. Determination was set in my features as I stomped outside, shutting the door softly.

Maybe I would return someday. If I ever did, I would not stay for too long. So many memories were made in this cabin. A single tear dripped from my blue eye.

"I love you, my family. Goodbye," I whispered. Then I walked back to chestnut, pulling myself onto her back and gently pushing my heels into her side, flicking the reins. "Giddiup." With that word, chestnut was trotting through the snow, heading towards the next village.