4: This or That

❝If what is dead may never die

If what is dead may never die. 

What is broken may never be repaired.

❞

It's funny how days seem to go by in a blur.

Two and a half weeks had pass since Sangwoo abducted Ari and they're practically living together like a couple. But their relationship is something strange to normal people.

Despite being able to roam the house freely, Ari isn't allowed to go outside. Not that she wanted to in the first place.

"It's raining," Ari said as she looked through the window. Sangwoo sat in the living room watching some boring talk show just to kill time.

"So it seems," he said in boredom as he took a sip of coffee.

"It was raining that day too when I ran away," Ari muttered absentmindedly but Sangwoo heard her loud and clear.

His hand froze halfway as he looked at Ari who was twirling the longer strands of her hair between her fingers.

"Ari, you aren't living with your parents, are you?"

That's right. If she is, then they would have been looking for her by now.

Ari shook her head and traced patterns on the window.

"Why'd you run away from home?"

For a killer, he sure asks a lot of questions. Ari couldn't really care less. So what if he knows bits and pieces of her past? It's not like it'll matter in the end.

"Remember when I told you about the scars on my back?"

By now, the sound of the television is inaudible as Sangwoo's full attention was on Ari completely.

"Yes. You said the scars on your back were put by the people you hate."

Ari nodded. "Those were my foster parents and that priest."

Sangwoo didn't expect to hear a priest be included. He wasn't entirely religious or anything. But why would a priest put such scars on her back? Maybe it was the bad childhood memory she had nightmare of last time.

Sangwoo doesn't really like how her eyes seem to have sunken more lifeless this time. He had to change the subject. He'll get the whole picture of her past by asking bits of pieces every now and then.

"Ari, why don't we play a little game?"

Ari snapped her head towards Sangwoo but her eyes were still the same blank void like before.

"Is it the kind of game where the loser gets killed?"

Sangwoo frowned before shaking his head. If that were the case he's hundred percent sure she'll lose on purpose.

He almost saw Ari's face fell in what could have possibly been closest to disappointment.

"What is it then?"

"It's a game of this or that."

Ari frowned and tilted her head. "It's the first time I'm hearing that kind of game. Is it like truth or dare?"

"Kind of. But there's no dare." Sangwoo motioned his hand for Ari to sit on the couch with him and Ari did so.

Once she's comfortably sitting on the couch facing Sangwoo, he proceeded to explain the game.

"It's quite simple really. We'll each have our turn on giving two options and we have to choose between those two options to see how similar or different we are."

Ari nodded and stare at Sangwoo with the lifeless sockets.

"Right, why don't you go first Ari? Since you look so eager to play," Sangwoo said, his words laced with sarcasm but Ari just shrugged her shoulders.

"Spring or Autumn."

Sangwoo was a bit taken aback by the simple options. "Spring," he said.

"Autumn."

"Cats or dogs?"

Ari shrugged her shoulders, looking uninterested. "Doesn't really matter which one. Would've been better if they're dead."

Sangwoo just ignored her odd way of putting it.

After that, it was pretty much just a normal game of this or that. Until it gets late and the rain had come down to pitter-patter.

"Alright, I'm giving you the last turn," Sangwoo said.

Ari's eyes bore into him as if she was staring through his soul, it wierded out Sangwoo that he almost felt like looking away.

"Okay, give me an honest answer Sangwoo. Are you going to kill me now or are you going to kill me later. This or that?"

Sangwoo remained silent for five minutes as the rain begun to pour again. He had to admit he was a bit taken aback by her sudden question.

Through the silent of the room with the stillness of the sound of rain outside, the atmosphere dropped a few degrees as Ari waited for Sangwoo's answer. But the man persisted on keeping silent.

It was until he was about to answer when Sangwoo saw Ari's head droop down the couch. Her light intake of breath was an indication that she had fallen asleep.

Sangwoo sighed and carried Ari up the stairs into his room and laid her gently on the futon.

Studying her features for a few seconds, his eyes roamed her pale face. Too innocent.

"Someday, I'm going to kill you Ari. Just wait patiently, I won't disappoint you."

Sangwoo chuckled when he found himself caressing her cold cheek. What have become of the man who kills women after fucking them? He sure had become peculiar.