....17

Chapter 17

It's almost summer, and our long await graduation is coming soon.

Lagi na lang ako natutulala, I can't really sink in what is happening in my life. Thomas' hospital visit occurred two weeks ago. A lot happened in those two weeks. 

Nilayuan ko muna sila, they understood me but Eugene didn't. He kept on asking me why am I keeping such a distance to my friends. Or if nag away ba kami magkakaibigan na hindi niya alam. 

I just answered him, "Nothing, really. I just want to be alone. It's really draining me out, you know, socializing every now and then." 

Papa didn't give me a hard time that much in those two weeks, just nightmares. Ever since the talk happened, all I had were pure nightmares of everyone...

"Why not we lie low for a bit?" I heard Thomas' mom said. 

Dahan-dahang kami lumabas sa cr at bumungad sa'kin si Kuya Kane. 

"Are.." He looked at me and he smiled a bit, "Are you all good?" 

I was about to answer him when the door opened and Tita Claire and Tito Kline greeted us. 

I looked at Tita Claire and she just smiled at me before going to Thomas' bed. 

"There are matters we need to talk about." Tito Kline slowly put his hand on my head before carefully patting it. I looked at him and he smiled before guiding me towards the exit. 

"Eugene and others, please get us some snacks. Thank you." Tito Kline said as he glanced at me once again before closing the door in front of us. 

Nakatinginan kami at nagkibit balikat na lang. 

"Ang weird ng atmosphere kanina, hindi ko alam kung tatawa ako-" I heard Grace winced and I looked at her touching her side. 

"Masakit iyon Ashley ah. Tatandaan ko talaga iyong araw na 'to." Rinig kong bulong ni Grace kay Ashley na ikinatawa niya lang,

I smiled and looked at Eugene looking at me. 

"Is your family okay?" He asked as he looked at me seriously. 

I nodded and smiled, "Yeah, of course." I giggled hiding the nervousness. 

He sighed and decided to let it go even though I know it is still bothering him. Bawal niyang malaman. 

"Millicent!" Nawala ako sa iniisip ko nang tinawag ako ng pasigaw ni Papa. 

I bit my lip to stop my shaking.

I looked at him dressed in a tuxedo while I, on the other hand, dressed in a long dress. 

"Let's go! Don't make me feel like I need to be in a bad mood." Nauna na siya mag lakad palabas kaya tumayo na rin ako at sumunod sakaniya. 

Pumasok na ako sa kotse at umusog sa pinakagilid para may agwat sa gitna namin. I didn't bother talking to him unless he asked me some questions. I really don't like to be part of this party anyways. Full of dangerous people. 

"Just stick with me the whole time, Millicent. Don't just go anywhere." He reminded me as he went outside the car and opened the car door for me. 

I stepped out and was greeted with guys in black suits. This is a secret gathering or party for those businessmen with illegal businesses outside of what they really do itself. 

As we stepped inside the hall, nagulat ako dahil halos lahat ng mga babaeng anak nila naririto. 

I even looked at one of my acquaintances and her eyes widened. It's like she wanted to say something to me. 

As much as I want to know what is behind this gathering, I chose to keep my mouth shut. One wrong word and I'm dead. 

"This is your lovely daughter," I looked at the person who talked to my dad and I slightly smiled and bow my head as a form of respect. 

"Millicent, right?" I rolled my eyes before putting back my stare to him. 

"Yes, sir." I mumbled and he smiled. 

He looked back to my father and I heard it again that made me uncomfortable. 

"The new drugs are being manufactured already, a lot of orders has been placed and I must say this is one of the most successful one." I tried to roam around the hall and I made eye contact with my acquaintance again, Margaux. 

She signaled her head to follow her in the restroom so I waited for a minuted to turn my gaze to papa. 

"Papa, can I go to the restroom?" He looked at me for a while before nodding his head and put his attention to the person he was talking to. 

Pumasok ako sa cr at bigla na lang sinira iyon at ni-lock. 

Margaux looked at me and gave me a piece of paper and a pen. 

Kumunot ang noo but she signaled to shush, and put her finger on her ear. 

Ah, they can hear. 

I opened the paper, "Make sure to keep a distance to your father or to any other man. Something MIGHT happen later." 

I looked at her still in shock and was about to say something when she put her finger at the front of her mouth. 

I sighed and wrote. "How did you know that something might happen today?" 

I gave it back to her and she immediately wrote something. 

"Thanks to the people who loves you, this might put an end to us. To let us be free." To me? 

"Who?" she just smiled at me and gave me a hug before going out of the restroom. 

I looked at the paper and immediately went inside a cubicle to flush it down.

Bumalik na ako malapit kay Papa at nakaupo na sila, the Emcee is saying something and I only heard is, 

"May we request all of your daughters to stand in front for the auction." Nanlaki ang mata ko. 

Napatingin ako kay Papa, he sternly looked at me and signaled me to go up to the stage, "Don't embarrass me, Millicent." 

I breathe and pinch my arm to stop myself from shaking once again.

As I slowly walk through the stage, I realized that with everything happening right now. Hoping it as a dream, wanting to wake myself up. 

The steps I take, it makes me realize that I might not go out of this situation and have to live with it unless they want me dead. 

But, as I take one more step to go up the stage, I never knew that what happened will change my life.