III. that small moment of joy

0003

0003. | THAT SMALL
MOMENT OF JOY

When Vela woke up, he felt like his mouth was filled with sand. His whole body felt dry, and usually, that would be a good, normal thing. But after his last memory being of lightning cracking down onto him, Vela was a little concerned.

He frowned, opening his eyes to see Nico leaning over him. "Hi," he croaked realising Nico's hand was in his hair, stroking it back out of his face.

           "It's been fourteen hours, do you have any idea how worried I've been?" Nico glared at down him.

            "Sorry...?" Vela wanted sit up but he liked how Nico was brushing his hair so he stayed laying down.

            "You should be!" Nico snapped, "What kind of imbecile picks a fight with Thalia Grace?" Vela frowned.

           "Who was she?" Vela asked, rubbing his eyes tiredly. Nico's fingers played with his hair but Vela had a feeling he didn't realise what he was doing.

"The daughter of Zeus." Nico explained making Vela wince. "Hence the lightning. And she's Artemis's lieutenant. You shouldn't have made her angry, she's pretty strong. You don't want to be on her bad side." He advised but Vela was barely paying attention.

He groaned. "Oh well," he said. "I'll try not to get barbecued again." He smiled, trying to sit up but Nico shoved him back down onto the bed. Vela raised an eyebrow at him.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked rhetorically but of course Vela was going to answer.

"To get water," he answered. "Being electrocuted is severely dehydrating."

"Shut up." Nico rolled his dark eyes. "Stay here, I'll get you water. Don't move." He ordered harshly but Vela did as he told. Nico seemed really rattled by what happened so he decided to stay put so he wouldn't worry more.

           Nico sent him one more worried glance before leaving to the kitchen. Vela looked around, trying to identify which safe house they were in when he recognised the view from the window. Where Nico's favourite safe house was in Venice, Vela's was the Hôi An safe house. The whole left side of the house had a view of the river that sometimes flowed with lanterns and boats. Plus, Vela also liked showing off that he could speak Vietnamese.

           "Here," Nico came back with a pint of water for Vela to glug. He downed it in seconds, leaving himself gasping for air whilst Nico watched him carefully. "Are you okay?" He asked slowly, twisting his skull ring and tapping his foot.

Vela smiled gently at him. "Yeah," he said. "Don't think I'm a fan of getting electrocuted though. I feel fizzy."

          Nico looked like he wanted to laugh. "Fizzy?"