XIV. a complete contradiction of power

0014

0014. | A COMPLETE
CONTRADICTION OF POWER

Vela frightened Frank.

          He seemed to be a nice enough guy when he was around Percy, but Frank didn't really want to see him without that control Percy had. To Frank, it made sense that Vela was a god—he didn't understand how the Amazons couldn't recognise it immediately (though he supposed that they were blinded by their assumptions of male inferiority).

Vela was impossibly good looking, but also insanely scary when he looked as angry as he did. His brow was furrowed in a heavy set scowl that made his golden scar look sinister. Vela, with his scowl and ambiguous scar and narrowed eyes, looked like somebody who wasn't meant to be fucked with. Frank was at least glad that Vela was on his side, because he knew that if he was an Amazon, no matter how brave, Vela would still frighten him.

          Honestly though, Frank was quite jealous of Vela. It was embarrassing to admit because of course anyone would be jealous of an immortal, and especially one as attractive as Vela, but Frank was actually jealous of him for a totally different reason and that had to do with Vela's ability to scowl.

          It sounded stupid, but to Frank, Vela was the epitome of what a son of Mars should be. He was tall and strong and ruggedly handsome—not in the pretty boy way that Hylla had said—and gods could he fight well. Frank was yet to see Vela with a weapon in his hand, but he knew already that he must be lethal. Whatever he had done to Phineas... Frank had managed to put it out of his mind, he thought it couldn't have been as bad as he imagined, but then he saw how quickly he reacted in the lobby to Kinzie's attack that had floored Frank. Sure, he was beaten, but something told Frank that Vela could have totally gotten out of the hold Kinzie had him in, he was only limited by his, Hazel, and Percy's safeties. Even then, in the Amazon holding cell, Frank knew that Vela could easily free himself of the silver chains he carried so easily and pry open the bars for them.

          There was something so obvious about Vela that he was constantly holding back his full potential of power, a bit like Percy, he was always working at restraining himself for the sake of those around him. That should have been the strength of a son of Mars, not Frank who could barely grasp the spear given to him, nor the power that his father had warned him about, the same power that his mom had. Frank wasn't sure who Vela's parents were, but he knew that Mars was certainly worthy of his fatherhood.

          "You guys wanna play Eye Spy?" Percy broke the silence they sat in.

           There were four walls to their holding cell, three made of cement, and the fourth made of titanium bars so the Amazon guards could keep an eye on them. The three boys sat against one of the three cement walls which gave Frank a good view of Vela's brooding expression that didn't look much impressed with Percy's proposition.