XXII. he just needed to hear him say it

0022

0022. | HE JUST NEEDED
TO HEAR HIM SAY IT

          Annabeth stayed with him through the whole night, sleeping well into the next morning. Which was fortunate for him because he copied her perfectly and by the time he awoke, his knee was uncasted and laid on top of the cotton sheets. Apparently someone had removed it while he slept.

He tried to flex his toes and it worked fine, no aches or pains of any kind. Turns out all Vela needed to heal was Doctor Will and some nectar. Speaking of, Vela's mind was reeling.

Will had kissed him and, even worse, he had kissed him back.

He wanted to talk to Will but he figured that he needed to figure out what he felt for Will first before he said anything. Luckily for him, Will hadn't shown his face the whole morning so Vela was able to rest and think with Annabeth snoring on his healed chest.

He felt awful for what he had done to her. He never imagined that she might've lost Percy too, but then again, he had totally underestimated how much he meant to her. Vela knew that Annabeth was one of his favourite people in the world and he loved her with all his heart but he never really expected it of her to feel the same way. He assumed that no one could love him back as much as he loved them but there Annabeth was proving him wrong.

She was so strong and wilful, but he had left her so broken in his absence that he knew he had to stay true to his promise and never leave her again. Because next time, maybe she'd be the one assumed dead and Vela didn't know what he'd do if she got hurt.

There was a knock at the door that stirred Annabeth finally. She groaned, burying her head in the hood of Percy's sweatshirt and away from the sunlight that flooded through the gaps in the closed curtains. Vela smiled at her. The door opened and Chiron peered through to check it was okay for him to come in. Vela nodded so he did.

"Ah," Chiron stood by the side of his bed. "Mr Solace predicted you would be healed by now." Vela couldn't help the blush his cheeks erupted in when Will was mentioned. "Good as new." Chiron had one of those fatherly smiles that made him feel acknowledged in a way Vela couldn't have related to like the rest of his siblings with fathers. But he at least could find that care in Chiron.

"Yeah," Vela groaned, sitting up and rustling Annabeth who slid off the bed with a yawn. She sent a small wave to Chiron.

"I'll give you two a minute." She nodded at them before slipping out the Infirmary door, with a slightly more cheerful expression than she had the night before. Though Vela figured they would need more than a minute to discuss everything that had happened to him, it was definitely a start.

          "...Where should I begin?" Vela asked quietly, fiddling with the cotton sheet. Chiron sighed knowingly. He did that a lot.

          "From the beginning, I'd advise."