Chapter 42: Darkness

Start from the beginning

Sophie tried so hard to put on a confident face when her heart was ripping apart as she whispered, "I need to know for sure. I need to know if they really took her."

"But that could be dangerous," Nick cut in, stepping next to her too. "You can't go alone."

"Yeah, if you go, then we are coming too," Fitz added, along with Dex and Marella agreeing.

"But what if Sophie isn't comfortable with us going with her?" Linh asked quietly.

Sophie took a deep breath. "It's fine, you guys can come. But we need to go now."

"How will we get there?" Stina asked.

"I can take you guys," Alvar said, popping his head into Biana's room from the hall.

Everyone jumped. Tam glared at Alvar, "dude, were you listening to our conversations this whole time?"

"N-no! I was just walking by and heard that you needed to go somewhere and I thought that I could um help you guys," Alvar said, quickly.

"Okay," Fitz said slowly. "But—"

"So um who are you guys?" Alvar asked Stina and Nick, cutting Fitz off. "Wait—I think I've seen you before," Alvar said, eyeing Stina slowly. Alvar then looked back at Fitz and then back at Stina.

"Um I don't know what you are talking about," Stina mumbled, sounding nervous.

"Oh, I know! Weren't you two a thing?" Alvar asked, pointing at Fitz and Stina.

That's where Alvar probably recognized Stina.

Stina had mentioned that her and Fitz were close at one point and even had feelings for each other. Then Sophie had a terrifying realization.

No one else knew about Stina and Fitz.

Oh boy.

"Uhm no!" Fitz shouted as everyone else went, "HUH?"

"Guys!" Sophie shouted when everyone started shouting and yelling. "Can we talk about this later? My mom could be kidnapped or even worse!"

Happy thoughts, Sophie.

"Sophie's right guys," Linh said.

"Alvar, take us to the hospital," Keefe said.

Alvar sent a confused look at Sophie before he said, "alright! Lets go."

Everyone ran to Alvar's cobalt blue Lamborghini and hopped in.

As they quickly sped off to the hospital, Sophie's heart pace quickened.

Her head kept repeating, please still be there.

Sophie was also glad that Keefe was holding her hand the whole ride there as he kept whispering that everything was going to be okay. Sophie squeezed tight onto his hand. She needed his support more than ever.

Nick was also sitting on the other side of her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

Any other circumstance, Sophie would have melted, but she couldn't get her focus away from Edaline.

Maybe Stalker was just lying. Maybe he just said that so that he could make Sophie panic over nothing.

Sophie held onto that hope, but that would also mean that Stalker had played a very dirty trick on her. But it would be worse if they did take Edaline.

When they arrived, Sophie bolted into the hospital without waiting for anyone.

She ran fast, looking for the room that she had last seen Edaline in. She ignored the shouts from several nurses and doctors.

She didn't care if she wasn't allowed to go see Edaline. She only cared if Edaline was still in the hospital or not.

Sophie's heart stopped when she was standing outside Edaline's hospital room.

After a moment, she quickly ran into the room and stopped abruptly.

Everything was crashed and broken. There was blood stains all over the ground. Two nurses and Doctor Rubin were laying flat on the ground, each with knifes stabbed in their stomachs.

And the hospital bed was empty.

"Mom! Where are you?" Sophie sobbed. She ran to the empty hospital bed. "A-Are you h-hiding under the c-covers?" She foolishly lifted the covers to see that Edaline wasn't under them.

"Mom, this isn't f-funny! COME BACK!" Sophie screamed as she nocked over a machine. She then grabbed the pillow on the bed and ripped it in half. "YOU CAN'T BE GONE!" She yelled.

Sophie then saw a slip of paper where the pillow was at. It read:

We told you we'd come back.

"No, no, no, NO!" Sophie shrieked as she grabbed her hair and yanked it. She didn't care about the pain in her head.

Her heart had the worse pain.

Sophie collapsed to the ground. "Why did you g-go?" She sobbed, her face showering with snot and tears. She cradled herself on the floor and couldn't feel anything.

Only the pain in her heart.

"I WILL MURDER YOU!" She screamed, hoping the evil organization could hear.

She sobbed again. "W-Why can't y-you take m-me instead?" She started to bang her head on the ground.

She didn't care about the pain in her head and the massive headache she was getting. She didn't care about the blood that started to drip from her head.

Her heart was being squeezed and pulled.

Edaline was gone and now nothing else would matter.

The world then turned into a red haze. Sophie felt something change inside of her.

All kindness, love, and gold was drained out of her heart. The inside of her was now filled with hate and poison.

A far away voice told her told her to fight against the force that was pulling the old Sophie down. But Sophie was too broken to fight back up to the surface.

Darkness had won, it had taken over, and that's who Sophie was now.

She was then sucked into the darkness.