Chapter 8

A/N -------- Okay, so I wanted this chapter to be waay longer, but I figured it would be better to leave this one at that. Enough emotion for one chapter :P

Gosh, I love it when Kaleigh and Shayn are together! It's so entertaining to write! :D

From this chap on, there will be lots of stuff going on. This is where the true drama begins, I guess.

Anyways, enjoy!

//+++++++++++++++++++++

A somber shadow cast over the parish, touching the hearts of all those who shuffled into the sanctuary for Nan's funeral.

Everyone was affected by the gloom of it all. There were more than a few startled glances when Mom started greeting people in a lively tone and even when she started inviting the ones who looked lonely to the big Thanksgiving Extravaganza at our house.

"Invite whomever you'd like," she’d said as Dad closed the front door.  "I want this to be the warmest Thanksgiving you guys can remember. Your father could really use the company."

I wasn’t entirely sure she was right about the last one, though. Dad seemed glummer as days passed. Right now I could see he was sitting on a lonely bench at the back, his shoulders sagging as if carrying an immense weight. I had the overwhelming urge go to him, but I was stuck on the choir benches with Jesse, watching as Pastor Clark talked in melancholy tones about Nan’s warm heart and giving nature, even though he barely knew her.

I scanned the sanctuary and wished I could send a telepathic message to either my mother or brother to go put their arms around Dad, but Mom was busy cheering Cole and Dylan up, and Matt was nuzzled close to Cadence in the third row.

My eyes shot back to the Pastor Clark’s back and didn’t stray until it was our turn to get up and sing. A guy with a guitar started strumming out the notes of the song, and I tried to choke out the words. My hands began to quiver. I knew I was on the verge of crying, but I pushed that urge way down like always and pursed my lips together.

I couldn't sing another note or I'd lose it. And Jesse's voice was so high and shaky that I couldn't even tell what part of the song she was singing. I looked out the windows at the dreary, smog-filled sky—even the clouds looked like they were about to burst with emotion—and that's when I saw him.

Shayn slumped against the back wall with his arms folded and his head bowed. He must have somehow felt my stare because he lifted his chin. Even from that distance, I could see that his eyes were rimmed with red. He looked at me for a moment, like he could see every painful feeling I was holding back, and then he lowered his head again.

Curiosity replaced grief as I sat down in my seat. Jesse wrapped her arm around my shoulders, no doubt mistaking my shocked expression for extreme emotional distress. Nan’s daughters  kept on droning about  their dear mother for ages. Angela, the youngest of the two even worked in a few well-placed jabs at Dad.

When the service finally ended, and the procession of those mourners headed for the grave site had filed out, I watched Shayn move toward a side corridor that led to an outside exit. I jumped out of my seat, waving off someone who tried to thank me for my singing—or lack thereof—and pulled on my charcoal-gray dress coat.

"Mom wants our help," Jesse said, catching up to me.

"In a minute."

I made my way through the aisle, sidling around the church ladies who murmured about the lack of heart in Pastor Clark's portion of the service. Someone pulled at my sleeve as I passed and said my name. It may or may not have been Jerrod Dallen, but I didn't stop to find out.