33. my getaway car

I know that you like it there
Center of the universe
But I'm not going anywhere
Whether for better or worse
I'll still drive your getaway car
...

Lou's POV

"Porter," I sob, "I need you." Those are the only four words I could get out in the stupid voicemail that I had to send to my best friend. He's probably working right now, or surfing not hanging out with his younger sister Katie.

"Shit, fuck I'm losing myself!" I say as I run to the nearest bus stop as quickly as I can even though I'm already drenched in the fresh morning wet rain.

I see a car drive by and I recognize it. I think it's Jagger so I start to yell his name helplessly as it falls out of my mouth more like a breathless blow.

He parks the car on the side of the block and hops out quick to wrap his arms around me.

"Hey hey, shhh what happened?" He asks me, cooing softly at me which only makes me cry more. My nails are digging into his shirt as it rains on both of us. His fingers going up and down on my shoulders trying to comfort me in the sweetest way possible.

I don't even wanna think about what just happened. Cassidy and Daniel? Fuck, how did I not get that sooner? He should've said her name when he was telling me his past! Ugh why do I walk so blindly into things?!

"Let's get in the car so we can get dry okay?" Jagger's fresh minty breath whispers in my ear as I nod, still clinging to him like a mess as he closes the passenger door.

I set my phone down in the cup holder, it wet and probably almost dead. Jagger gets in and starts the engine.

"Any specific place you wanna go to?" He asks grabbing my hand that was shaking and I didn't even notice it. I look up at him.

"The beach. Ocean Isle? Please?" I beg and he nods and pulls up the GPS on the car for me to type in the address. Next thing I know I'm getting a call.

Porter's name flashes across the screen and I pick up immediately as Jagger starts to drive.

"Where are you Louise? What happened? Are you okay? What's going on? Please tell me everything is fine. Lou?" His voice is rushed and I can tell he is worried. The sound of his voice calms me but at the same time makes me blink a few tears.

"It's okay. You're okay. I'm here. You can tell me when you are ready. I'm sorry I was working and got carried away on my break and was playing around with Katie." He apologizes which only makes me think of Daniel trying to take back what he said earlier.

"Can you just talk?" I blurt out, "Just say something that will make me feel better?" I press my top and bottom lip together as I close my eyes harshly. Tears falling down my cheeks and running down my neck and getting stuck on the side of my lip.

"Umm okay," Porter says, "Do you remember the time we went to prom together? You wore a yellow dress and your hair was in two french braids and at the end stopped into two mini buns? And when we got on the dance floor your feet started to hurt so I took off your shoes and let you step on my feet as I twirled you around?"

"I remember," I whisper, wiping another tear off of my mascara stained cheeks.

"Do you remember the time when I taught you how to surf? You looked like a dying jellyfish and got stung by one on our way out of the water?" I can tell Porter's smiling will my own face cracks a small one.

"Or the one time we went on your boat and I did a backflip off of it? Or the one time you came to my volleyball game and I did the worm to catch the ball? That song, baby grind on meeeee," Porter sings and I let out a giggle as he chuckles.