9. "you have a puppy"

Oh baby, look what you started
The temperature's rising in here
Is this gonna happen?
Been waiting and waiting for you to make a move
Before I make a move
...

Lou's POV

The more I walk with Daniel my brain tries to form its way back to normal. It's been about an hour? Maybe two? I have no idea. By the time we've stopped in front of a door, I realize it has no other doors by it except for one.

It's a lonely hallway with just one door on the very end of it, very far away from the one that Daniel's unlocking. I feel like I can hear a strange noise from inside but say nothing to Daniel about it. Besides my legs are bobbling underneath me as I try and walk. I keep them steady as he opens the door letting me walk in as he locks it behind us I see water spilled all over to the floor.

"You're a messy person," I laugh and turn to Daniel who is taking off his shoes by the door and when he turns around he's boiling. I mean it's just water no need to have a tantrum Seavey? You can clean it?

"Ugh fuck! Leeeeelaaaaa!" He groans in frustration putting his hands beside his head as he crotches down on the floor. Lela? What? Who?

When I hear the same sound from earlier I see a small tiny little puppy walk towards Daniel, trotting to his lap but can't get over his knee when he's sitting crisscross.

"Bad girl," he boops the puppy's nose with his index finger lightly and I wanna cry and laugh at the same time. My hands are already covering my face. My mascara is staining my cheeks at the moment.

"Y-you have a p-puppy," I say as I bring my self down to the ground the miniature golden retriever running over to me. She's so small. Like, could fit in my hands small.

"She's only one month. And she's my mom's I don't own her," Daniel gets up off the floor brushing his hands on his jeans, then pulling his pants up as he heads into the kitchen next to the front door. He washes hands then grabs a couple of paper towels while I focus on the cute puppy in front of me.

"Awe you, little baby," I say as I cup her face in my hands. She's so cute. Lela, what a cute name. I remember it well. It was Cassidy's middle name. She went by it in freshman year. Cassidy Lela Smith. Beautiful she was.

I try to shake the memories of us but I beginning to cry, light shallow sobs creep up as I begin to pet Lela slower and slower until I stop and put my hand down on the floor holding me up.

Lela whines trying to push her head under my hand so I can pet her. She lets out a bark when Daniel comes back over. He wipes the floor as I hold Lela in my arms.

"Who knew you would be the type to own a puppy Seavey," I say my words still slurring a bit as I set Lela back on the ground and when I stand up she's scratching at my leg again.

"I don't fucking own her Lou, she's my mom's. Besides Lela is a lot to handle and she and I aren't the best of friends," he cocks his head at Lela and she gets back down on all fours removing her paws from my calf.

"I'm sure you're best friends she tried to tackle you with how small she is the second you came inside." I smile and Daniel shrugs throwing the paper towel away. I crouch back down on the ground holding Lela in my lap as she plays around with my leg trying to get in.